Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubators  (Read 2057 times)

comesmile

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Bohol, Philippines
  • Piliglish Farm
    • Piliglish Farm and Guest House
Incubators
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:05:29 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced incubator for about 24 eggs, please

I have looked at several and as soon as I read any comments they all seem to have various problems, the main one being the failure of the incubator to maintain the correct temperature, which is obviously no good at all.

Any advice gladly received.

Peter

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Incubators
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:04:54 pm »
Im very happy with my Brinsea Octagon 20. it takes 20 chicken eggs and has automatic turning. I haven't had any temperature problems with it.
The one up from mine ( the Advance) has digital temperature and humidity measuring, which sounds good but I cant say ive missed having that function.
mine was £139 from Screwfix but that might have been a special price early this year  ( I got it courtesy of a heads-up on this forum actually!)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:20:36 pm by Kimbo »
Is it time to retire yet?

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 06:16:58 pm »
Loved my Corti automatic - high hatches every time - only thing I added was a separate hygrometer at the level of the eggs.

Got mine from incubator shop

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »
I use the Brinsea Octagon Advance, and it's superb.
Regardless of which brand or model you choose I would buy a seperate thermometer and hygrometer just to double check the readings on the incubator.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »
We use semi-automatics, that is you have to turn the eggs by pulling or pushing a lever. They cost about €170 for a 24 egg unit. Water is added into troughs which is great, because you forget about the machine humidity readings and concentrate on the real issue- development of the air sac. Eggs from different breeds have different porosity so one humidity setting doesn't suit all. Ours are all run dry for 8 days then candled- small air sac and we can't do anything but keep running dry, but a large one and we will add water to one of the troughs to reduce water loss from the egg. Our hatch rates are over 90%, simply because we don't mix breeds and focus on the air sac development.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS