Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scours in kids again!  (Read 1806 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
Scours in kids again!
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:38 am »
I seem to be having a bad  year this year with my kids scouring.

They are 4 months old now.  FEC samples revealed coccidia which was treated with Baycox which cleared scouring.

After a couple of weeks scouring again.  FEC samples clear.  Gave all a/b as vet said gut could be inflamed and sensitive.  All cleared up,

Samples were sent to lab for indepth check and culture revealed no e coli, salmonella and plenty of gut flora, no worms or coccidia.

Now again 7 days later 2 are scouring again.

They are still with the mums but not feeding much.  Are out at grass during the day.  In at night with plenty of fresh hay and straw.

I am at my wits end to know what to do.

I will phone the vet tomorrow but don't like getting a/b's to give them.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:47:07 am by maddy »

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Scours in kids again!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:48:06 pm »
Is it very lush grass?

Try keeping them in on hay for a couple of days to see if that dries them up.  They might have sensitive guts after the cocci and with this wet warm weather the grass is growing well.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:40:18 pm »
After the cocci it may be worth repopulating the gut with good bacteria. Try a probiotic. I would also give charcoal after anything like that as it can help to absorb toxins in the gut.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
Is it 3weeks since the 1st treatment? Coccidia lifecycle is 3 weeks, so if they are still in the environment (bedding etc) they will just be overcome again, even if the reading after the 1st treatment was low.

So another treatment with Vecoxan or Baycox would be my 1st action, as well as taking off grass & concentrate for a couple of days. PLus a full mucking out, and using some disinfectant (powder or wash) like Stalosan (other cheaper brands are available, anything for dairy cattle is usually good enough)

But also goats can get viral diarrhoea too, and AB's will not really make any difference to those.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS