Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's your favourite meat?  (Read 6480 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: What's your favourite meat?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:51:04 pm »
My favourite meat is hogget shoulder roasted,its beautiful especially the home grassreared ones ( ie my pedigree Lleyns). Second favourite is pork then chicken and lastly beef. I do love a nice steak or lasagna made with quality beef though. The thing is beef is so expensive and the cheap stuff simply ain't worth it. Mind you I used to kill out the odd buffalo and that was the best beef I have ever tasted. :yum:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:39:37 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »
Fw surely not just hogget but hebridean hogget as M&S we would say ;0)

Well of course  :hungry:.  It does just pip Shetland to the post  ;D.  We only have 2 lads to go this year, in a week or two, but there is still plenty in the depths of the freezer.

Heb hogget really has to be home grown, with home grown potatoes and cauliflower, or green beans, served with gravy and mint sauce.  I even like hogget cold, in fact I prefer shoulder cold. :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:59 pm »
nothing comes close to a slab of our home reared belly pork, slow roasted for hours and hours- oh yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:56 am »
Fleecewife......I think I could eat green beans 3 times a day
Is it time to retire yet?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 08:52:00 pm »
I was going to say grass fed beef. Then I remembered slow roasted lamb. Then the black bull steaks and the rose veal I had in Portugal. Then the black pork (also Portugal). Then venison stew.  ;D

I have not tried hogget or mutton but pretty sure I would like it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 08:04:23 am »
Devonlady it is wild. I haven't compared it to farmed so can't comment.
We have Red, Roe and Sika in the freezer.  The red and roe were shot out of the sitting room window!  Sika has the reputation of being the best but I haven't got round to having all three on the same plate to make a scientific comparison.

Stags shot in autumn are much stronger tasting than summer ones and length of time hung makes a big difference to how gamy it tastes.

If only I were nearer. I would happily do a taste testing for you!! The only things I could shoot out of my sitting room window would be my neighbours!!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »
It would be a mere 2000km round trip for you so next time you have a few hours to spare at dinner time then I would be delighted to cook a venison dinner for you!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:45 pm »
You're on!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS