Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Can I clean my eggs?  (Read 6036 times)

CoraxAurata

• Joined May 2008
Help! Can I clean my eggs?
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:57:57 pm »
Hi I am having a muddled egg crisis at the moment, my broody hen has been sitting on eggs for a little over 10 days but this morning one was broken (and it had had a chick developing in it) but the remaining egg or possibly from another egg is all over several of the remaining eggs in the nest and getting harder all the time...

Can I / should I clean the eggs? The nest is quite smelly from the breakage so I suspect hubbie(even more of a beginner than me) may not have noticed from yesterday and her warmth must have also accelerated the stinkyness development. Otherwise the nest is clean, she comes off everyday to do her business, eat and drink..

I have tried to candle one or two eggs but they are very dark shelled and I can't tell whats there..

Are the eggs better off dirty and smelly or should I clean them with all the risks of bacterial problems? please help!

CA

mojo

• Joined May 2008
  • glenay 79330 france
  • retired and married in north deux sevre FRANCE
Re: Help! Can I clean my eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:28 pm »
you have 2 choices .1 leave well alone......or..2 ..get a vegtable sponge with green scourer a mug of blood heat water  and clean the eggs and dry them whist the broody is of doing what comes naturally....................but do not remove her to clean .if she is only off for short time do the worst ones only.....dont candle .just let her get onwith being a mum
retired to deep in rural france.keep 2 shih tzu dogs ( 1 boy 1 girl),1 cat(girl),lots of pure breed chickens(both sexes)....golden pheasants(both sexes) and the best wife a man could have

chaxchingg

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:50:12 pm »
It seems like your hen may be pecking at her eggs... might be good to watch for more eggs breaking.

CoraxAurata

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »
Thanks fopr your help!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »
She may not be pecking them, she may be very heavy handed (footed, rather  ;))when turning them - same result i suppose, but plenty of straw or other soft bedding  in the box might help provide a 'bounce' layer.  Check the chicks when they hatch though to make sure they don't smother.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:04:48 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't touch the eggs.  If you wash them in warm water, you risk transmitting bacteria to INSIDE the egg.  If my eating eggs are a bit mucky when I collect them, I only ever wash them in COLD water - which isn't good for your chicks either because of the temperature change  :-[

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 08:54:21 am »
I was told always to wash eggs at a temperature higher than the egg to prevent the transmission of bacteria. Katie Thear's book certainly says wash in warm water with a sanitiser.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:10:25 pm »
Oops... you're quite right, Rosemary.  Sorry for the confusion, please ignore me!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:15:10 pm »
I wash mine in luke warm running water using a soft sponge to remove any stubborn stuff.  Theory is any germs are washed away as you do it....................
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »
I only wash the ones for eating/storing and dry them afterwards. I never wash eggs which are sat upon, the hen might reject them after washing or abandon the lot. The change in temperature probably disturbs the breeding process too. I just keep the nesting area clean once she's off them to feed and those eggs are never as mucky as the others...

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15:49 pm »
i heard you can use sand to help clean them personally i go for the rustic egg. still full of sh1t couldnt be bothered cleaning them. not so good when you give them to people lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS