Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rowan/Mountain Ash  (Read 6998 times)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Rowan/Mountain Ash
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »
Before I (potentially) poison my sheep, could anyone confirm that these trees are ok to plan in a field for sheep?

Thanks (in anticipation!)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Rowan/Mountain Ash
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »
They wont grow unless you fence them off, the sheep will eat them before they grow, we have planted them but put fences round them!

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »
Was going to fence them!!  OH had the idea that berries might be poisonous, but I couldn't find anything to confirm this, so was hoping someone here might know.  Guess they're ok then?

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »
think their ok---ROWAN / MOUNTAIN ASH [Sorbus aucuparia]
Although the rowan is associated with high upland terrains it is also frequently found in lowland areas and urban environments where the clusters of bright orange-red berries make a colourful autumn splash. High in vitamin C the berries can be made into a jelly which goes well with game meats, though on their own the berries do not taste pleasant. In the past an alcoholic liquor called diodgriafel was brewed from the berries in Wales; the process, according to an 18th. century traveller to the region involving: '...pouring water over them (berries), and setting the infusion to ferment. When kept for some times, this is by no means an unpleasant liquor...'
Given the ingenuity of Man no doubt similar potions were made in other parts of the world. One 18th. century Botanist / Physician commented that: 'The fruit dried and reduced to powder make wholesome bread.' Whether he had ever conducted such an exercise personally he does not mention

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:22 pm »
I generally don't feed Rowan to the goats, which makes me think it's not great for ruminents. All tree's to me are considered for how much feed value I get out of them for the goats! But- I don't recall anything that actually says their are poisonious, so if they're fenced, I see no reason to worry.

Beth

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:29 am »
Was merely to provide some shade for the sheep, their field is a bit bleak at the moment, the only shelter is man-made and I was hoping to achieve a look nearer to 'natural' than 'gypsy site'!!   Interesting where these questions lead though, never thought of making alcohol from the berries.  Best not let the other half know!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS