Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best bought chicken houses?  (Read 6719 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Best bought chicken houses?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »
We had a cube and it was OK but I didn't really like it. There on no roosting bars so the hens sit on slats and it's way too easy for them to hop into the nest box which we had to clean out every day pretty much. Ours leaked too and we never solved that. I also found moving it to be a pain. I can see why they are popular and it's a good concept but I felt there are a few design flaws.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:40 pm »
They all have perches and I move them by myself even with 4 metres of run attached, I find their mobility their big bonus. The main design flaw in my opinion is that the door handle is on the opposite side of the nest box, so you can't place it with one side against a wall as you need access to both sides. But then most of mine are in a field anyway.
Ours occasionally sleep in the nest box if I fill it up too high with bedding - tipping the bag with shavings out in the nest box thinking there's not much left in it but turns out to be more than I thought.

Red mite sorted very easily, though, and so easy to keep clean that I'll never have a wooden one again.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04:46 pm »
Another vote for green frog here. I have some solway houses for the bigger animals but the green frog ones fittings are easier to dismantle and light enough to move easily when in parts, the solway plastic is heavy but maybe the chicken pen plastic is thinner?

The green frog plastic is smooth as on the inside and we've had very few mite problems in the four years we've used them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS