Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food for thought and thought for food  (Read 1575 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Food for thought and thought for food
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »
Friend posted this on Facebook (see attached) Thoughts? I think personally until people are more aware of what their food is (scary how many people (not just kids) can't ID common vegetables or what animal things come from) there is little point in trying to educate them in seasonality

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Food for thought and thought for food
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:18:09 pm »
I completely agree with the post we should be supporting local seasonal food, however the shops make it so hard to understand what is seasonal. I only started being more aware when I started growing my own, but people are generally greedy and too used to everything at their fingertips would be hard for majority to change
________
Caroline

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
There is an American woman, author, who wrote a book about eating locally. She grew almost all her own food and never ate anything exotic or shop bought for one year, to do with air miles and quality of the food. The woman is called Barbara Kingsolver and her book is animal, vegetable, miracle
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:48:41 am »
Another book to read is "The Wild Life" by John Lewis-Sempel. He vowed to eat nothing that he couldn't shoot, trap or find growing wild on his farm. A fascinating read!
Apart from beef which we haven't got room for, we eat only home grown meat and we need more small scale meat producers (and should probably eat less meat?)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:18 am »
I personally love the idea of eating seasonally, I have some (currently un-explored) hypothesis that nature provides what we need as the seasons roll. Yes, we can import oranges etc but on the whole I'm trying to feed my family with locally sourced (preferably from our land) food on this basis.  Our ancestors did it and freezing or storage in other ways can help promote it.
I remember my daughter telling me that a child at her school believed that 'lamb chops' came from a cow  ::) and we live in the countryside!!
The argument that fresh and locally sourced food comes with a higher price that some cannot always afford seems to deter people though. But, 'in an ideal world...'
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:43:32 am »
My late father in law lived his whole life eating mainly what fruit and vegetables he could grow and therefore only ate 'seasonally'. He never owned a freezer or a fridge and spoke of the extra pleasure of anticipating the seasons and the fruits as they came.
Whether Plumseverywhere is right about the health benefits I dont know but he lived a long and extremely healthy life until his final illness in his 90s.
And for those who imagine such a life style cannot be acheived now - he lived refrigeration free up to 2012 and grew everything in his westmidlands surburban garden!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS