Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Slaughter  (Read 4616 times)

Megano

• Joined May 2008
Home Slaughter
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:45 pm »
Hi..
Can someone give me the low down on home slaughter for pigs?  I understand that it is possible if you have a qualified person to kill it humanly, facilities to butcher and only eaten by immediate family staying in the household.  Not to be sold on in any form.  Is this correct?  I keep getting slightly different information. 

Probably differing interpretations of the same rules but confusing..

Not keen on stressing my Pigs out any more than necessary and would like to do it at home - seems nicer that ferrying 25 miles to abattoir etc etc.
Any guidance, tips etc appreciated.
Just got my first weaners today so lots of questions floating around.

Megano

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
Re: Home Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:55 pm »
Hi, I think you're right about eating them yourself etc. Not 100% sure. However, I take this view. At the abattoir they are despatched professionally and humanely. Sure the environment will be strange to them, but if you take them yourself they will know you and that should be reassuring to them. After that, a butcher can cut them to your requirements. Yes, it could all be done at home if you are confident you have everything in place. Like method of slaughter. Place of slaughter. Means to dispose of waste. Means to deal with the skin/pigment. A skilled butcher. Hygiene. I enjoy my pigs when they are alive and I put a lot of time and money into them. I'd hate to spoil it all because something went wrong trying to deal with them all at home. I'm not trying to put you off, just offering my thoughts :D
Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »
There's another thread running about home slaughter it's called "help, please". We've taken our pigs to the abbatoir - we're lucky, it's small and about nine miles away so it's s short journey and they go right through for killing. I honestly don't think they are stressed - they follow a bucket in! I think doing it at home has too many potential pitfalls - but that's just my view.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:52:42 am »
Use the abattoir, its professional, you will know without doubt that the job has been done properly, cleanly and humanely, and no one is going to get upset if they happen to be in the vicinity when the dispatcher arrives!

If you have access to a trailer and can let them get used to it by feeding them in it for a few days, put down a good straw bed and drive gently, you will have done the very best for your pigs.

And at the end of the day  you have the veterinary stamp to say they are safe to eat.  A BIG PLUS.  Again just my opinion.  HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:58 am »
There are two lines of thought for this.  There are many that will say the abatoir for all the right reasons and I agree with everything said and why.

On the other hand, we use a home kill butcher for our own consumption and it has always been, humane, proffessional, done with kindness and respect for the animal, no stress at all for the pig or us, and the pig has been lead by the bucket and the shot taken when the head is in the bucket and the pig knew nothing.  We hang in the cellar and he returns to butcher.  He is the kindess man you will ever meet and is very reverend with the animals and a pleasure to know.

If you are lucky to have a butcher like that go for it, if in doubt, take the other route.  Ours was recommended by another party who has used him for years and that is the key I think, choose one recommended for his skill and dedication to the task and puts the welfare of the animal first.

There is a phrase often used on this subject, 'I don't understand why anyone would ........'

There is a very good answer to that, it comes down to personal choice.

Kate  :pig:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:57:23 am by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS