Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greetings from Sussex  (Read 3809 times)

candlemas

• Joined May 2008
Greetings from Sussex
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:26:58 am »
We were attracted to this site because the term "accidental smallholder" describes our situation exactly!

We moved out of London 3 years ago, mainly for the sake of a larger house that could accomodate 2 ageing parents/in-laws.  Initially the house came with 6 acres.  Then the field next door came on the market and we didn't want to be left wondering who would buy it and what they would do with it ... so that made 20 acres.

At the moment there's a wild flower meadow (thanks to previous owners) and several acres of tree planting (ditto) which are slowly growing into a small wood.  We're growing more and more vegetables.  A local beekeeper has 5 hives on our land, and we are thinking of adding some of our own.  Chickens are a definite possibility - and perhaps a donkey?

Our current - mundane - problem is with mowing the grass.  We are probably mowing about 3 acres in all, much of it in the shape of paths round the perimeter of the land.  So far we have been using a 2-wheel tractor, but there's talk of a ride-on mower.  2 suppliers have recommended eye-wateringly expensive machines.  We thought of hiring - we don't think that our use would be heavy enough to justify a purchase - but nobody seems to hire ride-ons, and we've also been told that nobody these days would hire the equipment without also hiring out someone to operate it.

All bright ideas welcome ...

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Greetings from Sussex
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:51:17 pm »
Firstly,Welcome!  ;D

With regards to your land and the problem of cutting the grass..... are you planning on expanding seriously into livestock,20 acres is rather a lot of grass to keep mowing! If you're not planning on expanding,how about renting out the fields? Or sell the grass on it for hay? I'm not sure what the law is in the UK with regards to renting out land,but here in France,it's safer to have a contract where one only sells the grass,not rent the land out. Saves a lot of hassle in the courts if you'd like to use the land yourself in the future.
 Personally,if I were to be looking at a ride-on mower,and with the amount of land you have,I'd pay a little bit more and opt for a mini-flat-packed tractor.Much more fun to drive and a lot more versatile. Or,trade in your car for a landrover with a pto and decent tow hitch attachment  ;D I don;t envy the decision (or the money you might have to fork out) but I am jealous of the 20 acres and wildflower meadow/woods! Best regards....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:24 pm »
Might be worth investing in a weekend in Brittany and buying a ride on when they are on promo, so much cheaper.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:24:16 pm »
hey welcome to the forums!

have you tried ebay and the freeads etc with regards to a ride on? or perhaps a quad bike with pull along lawnmower attachment? or you could buy alot of sheep!  ;D

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:06:08 pm »
Hi
Just wanted to say welcome and sorry know nothing about sit on mowers, I have sheep, horses and pigs that do that here, although not always where they should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:47 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I'm watching thsi thread with interest being a complete technodullard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS