Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: clearing land  (Read 2857 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
clearing land
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:30 pm »
once my 1 acre was nice grass.... due to neglect nettles docks and everything else took over.... having a go this year to get it back to grass...... been spraying it over last few weeks with good stuff and everything is dieing off nicely...... soon almost all will be dead...... thought i would hire the biggest walk behind rotovator i can find  and turn it all over, then get it flattened and broken up more finely...... then seed it about early september..... does that sound ok as i dont really know what ime doing..

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: clearing land
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »
If your land is anything like mine the ground will be full of thistle and docken (and any number of other weed) seeds.  Once you have rotovated it the seeds will start to grow and the thistles will be worse than before.

It might be a plan, after you have rotovated it to leave it for a month to allow the weeds to start growing again so you can kill them before reseeding it with grass.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »
yes thought more stuff would shoot up...so will leave it and keep spraying...... when is to late to grass seed.... could wait till next spring if required then spray agin and seed in spring

sidlaw

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:08 pm »
We had a field sown with grass in May but i think we were advised anytime between April and September, we are in Scotland though so maybe you can get away with a bit later if you're further South.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:24:36 am »
Is it securely fenced? Why not get some pigs instead of roatavator? The right breed will turn it over, fertilize it and you get pleasure of pig keeping & some pork....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS