Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dental care  (Read 4184 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Dental care
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:04 pm »
Our dogs are 10 this year and are pretty fit and healthy, but their teeth are not lovely, I'm ashamed to say. They don't have really bad dog breath, though, unless they have been eating chicken poo.

I bought two toothbrushes and some enzyme toothpaste (chicken flavour) and have started brushing their teeth. Their gums do bleed a wee bit, but I suppose I just have to persevere. Question is though, am I wasting my time? If the teeth have tartar already will brushing remove it?

Also I got a wee catalogue through the post with dog stuff in it  and there was stuff called "Plaque Off" which you feed and it works through the bloodstream to soften tartar deposits. Anyone tried it - does it work or is it a rip-off?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dental care
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:28 pm »
I can lend you a dental scraper, will be in Alloa Friday lunchtime and won't need it till after Crufts now so can show you how to use it.  You place it at the gum and prize off the tartar deposits. There are dental kits in Poundland but I don't know how substantial they are.  You will get gum bleed when you first start to clean their teeth same as we can if you don't brush for a day, but it will stop.  My dogs all have their teeth scraped about every three months.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:21 am »
That woudl be great but would you show me how to use it? I don't want to do more damage than good. Tess, for being a witch, is remarably good at getting her teeth brushed. Better than Meg, who squirms around. They didn't bleed today but maybe I was gentler.  :)

I'm around Friday from about 1pm if you can swing by for a demo!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:13 am »
Yes, will do.  1pm should be fine as I'm at the Bank at 12, should be finished by then.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
Not robbing it, I hope. This is a respectable neighbourhood! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »
He he - no, vice versa ,Bank robbing my kids of their inheritance by paying rubbish interest rates ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:59:00 pm »
Alex,'s mum and dad use something in the dogs waterbowl that is supposed to help their teeth- can't remember what its called but I can check. They say it has made an improvement. They are both ex racing greyhounds (the dogs, not his parents!) and have rubbish teeth because they were fed on mush for a long while.

Beth

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »
I would reccomend "proper" feeding! Large chunks of raw meat, loads of raw bones, raw chicken (wings for littlies, legs for the biggies) raw carrots and wholemeal mixer.
I have old greyhounds whose teeth are beautiful (and G.H's are notorious for awful teeth) on this diet. If you haven't a good butcher near who will let you have his waste, a lot of abbatoirs will sell you a BARF diet.
I also give garlic powder, cod liver oil  and brewers yeast tablets, and lightly cooked cabbage.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:02:59 pm »
You know there is a little trick you can do to help old dogs gums if they are imflamed and infected.

Smear a little human toothpaste over the gums as it will kill any bacteria and allow the gums to heal. Use your finger to do this and lift the water bowl for about half an hour so they cant drink and rinse it off .

Twice per day for 7 days or untill you notice a difference.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:19 pm »
I lent my scraper to Rosemary and showed her how to use it. She was gobsmacked I think ;D

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »
All dog owners should have those they are very good. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS