Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with fleece  (Read 3998 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
What to do with fleece
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
Thnikng ahead, I'll have 8 coloured fleeces this year plus two from last year. My Pa-in-law probably won't have much time for handspinning this year - anyway, he'd need Rumplestiltskin to spin that amount. I don't want to waste them but what are my options?

Do I have to sell them via the Wool Marketing Board?

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: What to do with fleece
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:08:47 am »
hi rosemary, think the wm board will pay peanuts, weve had people down our way with small flocks burning wool seems terrible waste, seen fleece on ebay maybe outlet to sell? maybe dan would like 500 pairs socks for xmas..................................neil

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:17 am »
Contact Thewoollyshepherd on here, she uses fleece and can help you get the most from yours.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:18 am »
Neil's right, I've heard nothing but grumbles about how much the wool board is paying for fleeces, and someone I know even had a bill off them for cleaning the fleeces because apparently they were too dirty. I'd love to have them but you're too far away, and I'd probably be inundated with fleeces later anyway (I'm just being greedy here  ;D). Is there a spinning group/knitting group near you that would appreciate the fleeces if you donated them? There's also ebay - people do sell whole fleeces there but the postage will be pretty expensive obviously because of the weight.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:52:18 pm »
Hello Rosemary

I can process your fleeces ready to handspin.....they comeback all washed and ready carded! Or I can just wash them for you to sell on!
Coloured Ryeland is fantastic for knitting and processing wool is what I do for my living!!!

If you can get 75kg plus of coloured Ryeland down to me....join with some other breeders to get enough, it can be commercially spun after I have done my bit!

Ryeland does not wet felt well but we will have a 60inch needlefelter in operation in the next few weeks so can neeclefelt it into long rolls of felt if you wanted (any quantity!)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »
Hi Woolly, do you want mine? I'll have 7 mule, 1 jacob, and 2 black fleeces?

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »
Sagehen is right.

If you can be bothered, bag it up in small lots and stick it on eBay. You will make more for 1-200g at a time than you will for a whole fleece in some cases! Looking at ended listings, some white Ryeland has been selling for about £1.70 for 200g raw.

Is there anyone near you who teaches spinning that would welcome them? I get through tons when I'm doing workshops. I would offer to have them myself as I know that your wool is lovely but having a shearer for a brother means I have an over abundance of fleece already!

I will keep my ears open in case I hear of anyone who might be interested too.
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »
I will take your fleeces Dixie.....but can I make anything out of them for you....mule is often really good quality.......due to the blue face sire!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »
Thanks woolly I will speak to you nearer the time, I cant throw it away, usually I give it away to forumers that want it!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS