Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toppers and mowers  (Read 12848 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Toppers and mowers
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
I've just spent an interesting half hour with "Farm Trader" magazine  - it was full of things that I didn't know ANYTHING about! I love the Highland Show for that too - all that machinery!

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a mower and a topper?

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Toppers and mowers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:28 pm »
As far as I understand it...... a mower has one rotary blade and is designed to cut at different heights with a side (or rear) ejection of the cut grass...... a topper has multiple blades rotating counter to each other and is designed to cut grass to about a 9inch height with the cut grass being spread like a carpeted mulch..... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:49 pm »
In an agricultural setting a mower will cut grass and lay a 'swath', a row of  grass which can then be worked for hay or silage,  whereas a topper will cut and mulch. A topper is usually used to knock down weeds before they seed or lower the sward height, for example before putting sheep onto a new field to prevent um... how can i say it...  Diarrhoea (great things spell checkers) we have a more vulgar term but it might not be deemed suitable in a public forum lol
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:21:03 pm »
I KNEW someone would tell me! I told Ayeskint that I was sure Mr Ree would know. I should run a book.

Thanks both - I will be back with more techie questions.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:30:16 pm »
I was walking the dogs today and the roadsides had been cut - with a mower. I know thsi because the grass was lying in long neat swathes - another wee bit of information stowed away!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:20 pm »
A wise man once said ..

a man with a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing...

Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:15:38 pm »
Yeah, but a woman's fine!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS