Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tags  (Read 5059 times)

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Ear Tags
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »
The second pair are off to slaughter next Monday. Unfortunately I was a bit late ordering ear tags to be printed. I'm hoping they will arrive in time but if not can I use someone elses tags ?
The first pair of weaners came ready tagged with the breeders number and they went to slaughter only with those and it didn't seem to be a problem.

It's been interesting to see the different temperament between the first OSB's and the current GOS's. Just hoping the GOS meat is as good !
Not sure what to try next but have been told I have to build a propper house before I get any more. Last one was straw bale and even though I was expecting to have to rebuild it every day they have not destroyed it once... and it seemed to keep them warm over the worst of the winter.  That will be a job for the next few months while we let the land recover !

TG

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:07:02 pm »
I think, in fact I'm pretty sure, that if you bred the pigs you must use your tags with your herd number on them. If someone else bred them then they should have supplied ear tags when you picked them up.
You can't use any old tag because if (God forbid!) foot and mouth etc. did break out it would be traced to the herd with the ear tag number on instead of you. Hope that makes sense!! :)

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:44:30 pm »
I think, in fact I'm pretty sure, that if you bred the pigs you must use your tags with your herd number on them. If someone else bred them then they should have supplied ear tags when you picked them up.
You can't use any old tag because if (God forbid!) foot and mouth etc. did break out it would be traced to the herd with the ear tag number on instead of you. Hope that makes sense!! :)

Sylvia is right you can only use your own tags with your herd number on.You dont need the breeders tags just your own. Hope they arrive in time. You can pay extra for next day delivery but that knowledge is probably to late now.

ps with cattle the tag it gets at birth stays with it but pigs dont necessarily get one when they come from the breeder they can be moved when young on a temporary mark.
It would be so much easier if the same rules applied to all stock.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:48:06 pm by herdsman »

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:04:24 pm »
Depends on if they are registered or just birth notified. If registered they should have 2 tags from the breeder if not and they were moved on a temporary mark you need to put your tags on them to move them for slaughter

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
Under the Pigs Records, Identification and Movement Order 2007 - known as "Primo"

7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—

(a) an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or
(b) a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”).

Primo 2003 (the previous law) allowed a single ID ie if a breeder had tagged it and sold to you, then you could take it to slaughter with their tag.  Primo 2007 changed that.

Primo 2007 means that if a breeder had tagged, then you would still need to tag or slapmark(tattoo). 

Abattoirs hate multiple ID's so two eartags or an eartag and a slapmark make you unpopular - in essence they need to tie up a tag/slapmark with the paperwork so each time they look they have to check two ID's.

However there is no tie up between the tag at the abattoir and your CPH, so if it has the breeder's tag it is unlikely that anyone will worry, unless there is something wrong with it. Hence why you can take a pig with a breeders tag to the abattoir and are not likely to get questioned - however this is your choice and puts you at some risk.

If you haven't tagged or slapmarked do not attempt to take it to the abattoir.  the Meat hygiene service will reject it,  and as you cannot bring anything back once you have arrived at the abattoir, your pig will be condemed.  This not only means that you pig will be killed and then the meat condemned, but the abattoir will change you for carcass disposal. No meat, cost and possible fine as well.

Better to delay a week and get the tags.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »
Hi I think your tag question has been answered, but I have a question.  What are the personality differences between GOS and OSBs?  We are collecting 2 3 month old GOS gilts tomorrow.  They will be slaughtered at 6 months and then we hope to get 2 OSB Gilts so am very curious about your comment.  We have only had British Saddlebacks before.

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
It seems logical that our herd no. was on a tag when it went to slaughter but this means either having the breeder tag and then adding our own ( which seems to be the solution) or removing the original which I would not like to attempt.
I'll call the supplier today to see where they are.

In response to the question of character.
Our experience is very limited but the differences are noticable.
We started with two OSB males and kept from 10 weeks until just under 6 months old (we were concerned about boar taint). They were docile, quiet and a great introduction to pig keeping.

The current two are GOS gilts bought at the same age and kept a bit longer. They are just as friendly ( enjoy a scratch and come running when we go near the enclosure) but are so much noisier and I have found a bit more agressive - they really don't like their house cleaned out !

Assuming the meat from the GOS is as good as the OSB we will have more - or maybe we try something else next time.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
Hi  Very off topic but; please don't worry about boar taint in breeds like OSB; as they are slow maturing and don't need to go so young.We regularly produce our boars for meat and never take under 11 months old. We have never had boar taint.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »
 Are we going RC does it matter about off thread people wont post if they don't want to and all that is needed is post what you wanted on thread Spawnee and Dave Cook ably assisted by Jonboy are terrors for telling you but it matters not when they do it Do you want some instances gavo?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
TG - Section 15 of Primo 2007 states

15. No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an ear
tag or tattoo applied under this Order.

So you can not legally remove the breeders tag, but only add you own, which is personally what I would do.

We have  most breeds at OaklandsPigs, and generalisations about the characters of different breeds are far less important to how you bring up your pigs (nurture over nature).  Any breed will be friendly if teated right and hence most smallholders like the breed they like and I would choose on shape and colour and spend time taming.

Taste wise pigs are what they eat, and therefore any differences in taste for outdoor pigs will tend to depend more on time of year you buy and kill, or what the season was like etc. etc. rather than breed.  Some breeds are larger, some tend to run more to fat, and different shapes and sizes affect the joint sizes etc. and will also affect taste to a degree.

On temperament - and with tongue slightly in cheek - in general terms, we find that OSB's are a "more forward" breed (tend to come to you and follow you around), GOS are lazy and don't move unless there is a good reason and are grumpy is disturbed, Saddlebacks are laid back in life and quite happy to go with the flow, Middlewhites are stubborn and pushy madams, large white freak out if disturbed or see something strange and run around like headless chickens, Large Black are really friendly, Tamworths are either really nice or really lively (not in between) so trouble or treat.   Suspect that has set a few hares running, but we love them all !!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:17:02 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:58:00 pm »
I liked that short general guide to temperment.  I have always had the impression that GOS can be grumpy so it will be interesting to see what are two will be like.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:46:46 am »
I keep predominantly GOS, with bayeux, a saddleback, a lop and a large black - after some years of Tamworths.  I find the GOS to be super friendly, easy to manage, docile, lovely to move around even the youngsters much nicer than any of the others.  Definitely my pig of preference.  Never met a grumpy one, either boar or sow.  Stubborn occasionally, but always easy to move with an apple. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:07:03 am by Hilarysmum »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
Did you read my post 3 down H? and if you have what have you deduced? :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 09:31:56 am »
Sorry Wizard no idea what you mean

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS