Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jasmine and Paddy are pleased ....  (Read 2804 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Jasmine and Paddy are pleased ....
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:52:01 am »
to announce the arrival of twins - a boy and a girl, who arrived at around 5pm last night.  I went to give the goats their tea, and the two kids were on their feet.......still wet, and Jasmine was rooted to the spot staring in amazement.  I set to and gave them a good rub down with some straw, and they both looked a lot better.  Jasmine contributed a bit of licking round the ears!!

Both white, was hoping one would have been alpine colour like Paddy.  Picked the littlest one up, and it was a billy, which surprised me, I really thought the big one was a billy.  Honestly thought I had two billies, but was really pleased to be proved wrong.  little billys legs were not straightened out at the back, so he was a bit wonky.  This does happen sometimes, but comes ok usually pretty soon.

Went back just before midnight, walking up the dark farm track to the barn ......went through the field, and the two Anglo nubian goats and llama came over, hoping for a midnight feast!!  I wanted to make sure Jasmine had taken to the kids, and they had fed.  Nanny kid was bouncing round the pen, so she was fine.   Little one, well, was not sure about him, so popped him under mum, and squirted some milk on his nose, and I was a lot happier when he took some milk.

Both fine this morning, and the little ones legs look better already.  Nanny kid is very bold, and straight up to me, and very inquisitive.

Paddy keeps looking over the rails - obviously very proud of his little family.

No matter how many of my goats kid, its still a lovely feeling when you see those new lives struggle to their feet.  Thank goodness no work today, I keep leaning on the rails watching them, and have done very little this morning!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Jasmine and Paddy are pleased ....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:55:11 am »
Great news Roxy, no house work done today then. So, are you keeping the new additions or selling?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:55:54 am »
Ahh lovely, so come on wheres the pics!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:38:27 pm »
Can't find the camera, have turned the place upside  down!!

Now this is going to sound daft .....but I may  not have a billy kid after all ???  Because Jasmine was a bit shell shocked by the arrivals, I gave them a quick check over, and a rub  down and left her to it.  In my head torch light, I sexed the little one as male.  This afternoon, I picked them both up, to check them properly, as Jasmine was happier with me handling them.  To be honest, its very hard to tell with the smaller one, as her bits are not as developed as the other one, but I reckon she is female after all.  I know I struggle with kittens, but not usually with goats.

My friend, who breeds a lot of horses, announced on a horse forum that one of her mares had a filly.  Later that day, she said it was in fact a colt!!!!  So each time, she jokes now that whatever sex it is, she will re check later to make sure.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »
Congratulations! Better day all round then.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
congratulations, whatever gender they are!   
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS