Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broadband speed  (Read 3205 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Broadband speed
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:17 am »
Fairly dire speed available here . I dont know what the numbers mean but my download speed is 4.69 MB/s and my upload speed is 0.72 Mb/s. I know that in practice I cannot download or send large 50-75 page docs which, sadly, I need to do fairly often.
Currently the plan is to visit the 'nearest' pub (6 miles round trip but with better signal) to download stuff to store in 'my files' but is there an easier way.
Any suggestions?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Broadband speed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:36:48 am »
My upload speed is less than yours, although my download is a little better.  I got 6.8MB/s down and 0.4MB/s up.

I up- and download anything I want (just not very fast  :D), so I am not sure your problem is your broadband speed.   Perhaps some other thing - timeouts or something? 

Are they graphic-rich documents?  What are the file sizes?    Another thing that might help is zipping the documents to make the files smaller (if you aren't doing that already.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:22 am »
When you say 'download' do you mean via email? Most email systems have a message size limit, and because of the way email protocols work they need to send the whole message in a single 'session'.

You might be better using something like Dropbox which lets you just save a file to a folder on your computer, and then share the folder with other people. The uploading and downloading happens in the background, and even on a poor connection will let you share and access large files.

(By the way, our download speed is 2MB on a good day.  :-\ )

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:44:06 am »
My internet connection is slower than yours (I can only get about 1MB/s download) but I can manage big documents with a little patience.  If you are finding 50-75 page documents unmanageable I would first look into the document size.  Often when documents are huge it is because they contain images (including things like graphs as well as photographs) that have been saved at image sizes far bigger (i.e. at higher resolution) than the document needs.  Also if you can save/export your documents to PDF format (which might not be feasible if you are editing back and forth with someone else) then you will likely get better file compression.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:57:27 am »
we're prety dire for dpeed here too.. about 2-3mb/s download when I run a test.

It depends on the type of documents you're dealing with but finding some way of storing them on personal web space and editing them from there in small pieces would allow for faster onward transmission. Also direct ftp protocols from your own space to home might be quicker depending on file formats..simple ascii should be fastest

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:14:41 am »
How's this for awful........? >:( . By comparison all the foregoing are good! It used to be about 2mb a couple of years ago, but has steadiliy got worse. I have contacted BT about it, they replaced a section of line that had been damaged by trees but no improvement. I've got the Iplate, router plugged directly into the Iplate, all new filters fitted with no improvement. Basically they've just shrugged their shoulders and said thats it! No hope of superfast or fibre optic here as only a hamlet (just a few farms) remote from the exchange, nothing scheduled for this location in the future, apart from a possible slight increase in speed in a couple of years time ::) . So I guess I'm one of the 5% have nots :( . The only other option would be satellite broadband, but the cost is horrendous.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:25:27 am by Cosmore »

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
If it's a comfort, we also have satellite, and for normal web/internet etc our 1MB/s DSL is better, due to the satellite's unavoidable high latency.  We only use the satellite for uploading/downloading big files where the latency doesn't matter compared to the bandwidth, otherwise we prefer our slow DSL.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:24:30 am »
I'm not sure whereabouts you are but your speeds don't sound too bad to me. In Wales you can get a grant upto £900 to improve your broadband but it does have to be consistently below 2mb to qualify. So you are already better off, speed wise, than a lot of us.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:19 am »
Thanks folks. We had the BT engineer out - and now we are worse off!! Hey ho. Sounds like it isnt the worst signal!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS