Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Celebrating - first two eggs today  (Read 5180 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Celebrating - first two eggs today
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »
So eggcited (sorry couldn't resist).  Having chosen our first ever hens yesterday and settled them in to their new abode  we were delighted to find two eggs today !  We've got four - a Bluebelle, an Isa brown, a Silver Sussex (which is actually black ?!) and a Speckledy who are all gorgeous.  Had great fun in the barn picking out the selected few to bring home.  They're very entertaining to watch and our two pointers think so too (noses pinned against the patio doors) !!  So far have had the best classic 'points' from them we've ever seen.  Hens don't seem too concerned as their was a collie on site at their farm although so far the pointers have been taken up to the run quietly and haven't been given the chance to chaaaaaaaaarge at the run !  Have to say I'm surprised at how much poop 4 hens have produced on the grass in the course of a day !!   Already thinking of getting an extension run (although the breeder assured me the house and run could accommodate five and we've got four I think it would be nice for them to have more room).  Got a pretty henhouse that was really easy to put together and use from the poultry supplier AA Macintyre - house made by Littleacres who use eco-friendly preservative

Got new compost bins in place for all the shavings and poop (got a brilliant deal on the compost bins - HUGE plastic ones at £6 each from www.wasteawarescotland.org.uk

Thanks to Rosemary for your advice and getting to see some chooks at close quarters - now off to make my mind up about which sheep to get - zwartbles, blue texels, kerry hills or a mix of all three ?!

What greenery can I give the hens as little extras without upsetting their digestion ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Celebrating - first two eggs today
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »
Well done - you'll have loads of laughs with the girls.

CHICKEN GEORGE

• Joined May 2008
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:02:36 pm »
Congratulations. Hope you get plenty of eggs. I give my hens all the waste of my cabbage, cauiliflower and they especially like the brussel stalks tied upside down to peck at and it 's a differant treat at the end/start of the year.

Regards
chickengeorge

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:24:58 pm »
thanks chicken george and rosemary

will sort out some green treats in due course

the girls got in a nice spot of sunbathing today after getting rather drookit yesterday         

as far as I know the speckledy, sussex and bluebell were all raised indoors in a big straw floored barn so the rain yesterday must have been a bit of a shock, however the were happy out in it pecking at the grass which presumably they hadn't seen before either!    Was a bit concerned about the Isa (who is used to being outdoors) as she looked utterly soaked with her feathers looking 'separated' showing her blonde underwear, however I presume this is normal as she was ok afterwards.

off to watch a spot of hen tv before feeding dogs and humans

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:42 pm »
Well done chooks, my chickens love baked beans and cooked pasta as a treat, and fingers crossed it has never upset their digestion

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:08:09 pm »
Our six week old cheeps saw rain for the first time yesterday - they were rushing about in the run - I think they thought the sky was falling in!

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Off colour Isa Brown - any advice ?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
Off colour Isa Brown

uh oh  - having had our 4 hens since Tuesday, the Isa Brown seems off colour today - resting/dozing a lot, definitely not as active as the others.  she is drinking but doesn't seem to be eating much.  No other symptoms though  The others are perky and fine

the Isa is the one who seemed to get a soaking in the rain on Wednesday - could this have anything to do with it ?

is there anything I should do other than wait and see if she perks up ?

any advice welcome 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS