Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red bull calf just born  (Read 3421 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Red bull calf just born
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm very excited to have a red bull calf born from what I am told are excellent bloodlines, of course!
His mum is Bearford Penny H.B.No. 13-6733 who sire was Trondra Rudy and his dad is Boquhapple Kelvingrove UK 542842700053.
Penny's full pedigree does not appear on the SCHBS site for some reason but Evelyn has emailed it to me if anyone is entrested.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Red bull calf just born
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:19:44 pm »
Aw, bless. He's right bonny  :thumbsup:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
Lovely looking calf.

Bearford Penny has a pedigree on the SCBA website - I think you're a member - you can see it there if you login using the details you will have received when you joined.

Please be aware that Kelvingrove already has a large number of progeny registered. He has 18 daughters and 3 sons - one of whom is deceased. It's not usually recommended for a particular bull to have too many calves -as this has an undesirable effect on the genetic diversity of the breed. This is compounded by the use of sons. If you are considering keeping your calf entire, I would seek advice from Ruth Dalton of the RBST on the numbers involved.

Sue

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »
Thank you Sue, that was the informative reply I was hoping for. I had a similar reply from Paddy too,
so I guess I will be out with the ring tomorrow!
Thank you again from an always appreciative TASer.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
It's always hard to ring the bull calves - especially the ones that look as if they may be a nice specimen.

Still, he'll be a nice looking steer to have around the place, hopefully he'll have some playmates soon.

Are you going to the SCBA AGM in October? - it's near Kate Sankey's place - it would be good to get as many of the Scottish members as possible to attend  and we get the chance to see Kate's cattle & land. Always interesting to see how other keepers do their 'stuff'.

Sue
(Blackmyre Herd)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:31 pm »
Yes I will definitely try to go, any excuse to see Kate and what she is up to!
My little boy has two playmates already, just a few weeks older than him. I can't wait to see them all running around together.

Best wishes,
Fu

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS