Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: road safety idea  (Read 3557 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
road safety idea
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:01 pm »
This is an advert for some Samsung technology.  The idea is so drivers can see in front of the enormous lorry they are stuck behind, so don't pull out to overtake into oncoming traffic.
What do you think, and will it catch on?

HTTPS://www.youtube.com/embed/ZetSRWchM4w?rel=0
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: road safety idea
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:17:35 pm »
Couldn't get the page FW.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:22:50 pm »
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:16 pm »
Also couldn't access the url FW.
But what about keeping well back from the rear of the lorry? If you follow a large vehicle at a safe distance behind the road ahead is visible, overtaking should only be done on long straight stretches where the opposite carriageway can be seen to be clear for sufficient distance to pass safely.

If you are too close (dare I say tailgating?) then of course all you will see is the back of the lorry - and the lorry driver cannot see you in his door mirrors, he dosen't know you are there - if he did an emergency stop for whatever reason could you stop in time?

There was a simple device (from memory it was sold by the AA) that I have used on a car when I drove a right hand drive car on the continent, it was a double mirror arrangement that fitted on the near (passenger) side door mirror, enabling you to see ahead past vans and larger vehicles which as you were driving on the right was a help - but the same regard for safe distancing still applied.
That's my twopennorth, anyway! ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »
But what about keeping well back from the rear of the lorry? If you follow a large vehicle at a safe distance behind the road ahead is visible, overtaking should only be done on long straight stretches where the opposite carriageway can be seen to be clear for sufficient distance to pass safely.

If you are too close (dare I say tailgating?) then of course all you will see is the back of the lorry - and the lorry driver cannot see you in his door mirrors, he dosen't know you are there - if he did an emergency stop for whatever reason could you stop in time?

Agreed one should always drive far enough back that you can see the lorry's wing mirrors (or the lorry driver can't see you), and that you could stop if the lorry braked.  (I usually count 2 seconds to check I have enough distance.)

However, whilst that gives you some visibility of the road ahead, it's not enough to make an overtaking decision.  You still have to edge out to confirm. 

If drivers are stuck behind a lorry for a long time, they get tetchy and frustrated, more and more keen to get past, likely to pull out more frequently and perhaps take chances... the Samsung lorry display would stop a lot of that, keeping following drivers more calmly in relaxed pursuit, awaiting a clear road and a genuine opportunity to pass.

I think it's great  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:14:27 pm »
I like it but I would probably be mesmerised by the view and try driving straight through the lorry!
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:48:05 pm »
The advert is filmed in Argentina where they seem to have a soaring rate of deaths on the road, many when overtaking.  Of course they should keep their distance, but they don't. In addition, on a motorcycle, there is a blind spot in the rearview mirrors of most vehicles, which is immensely dangerous to bikers.

I too would be too busy watching the screen to concentrate  ::)
I also thought that unless you had been concentrating, it's vaguely possible you could pull out when there was a vehicle parallel with the lorry, but it seems remote.

I think it's something which should at least be tested here.

Sorry the link didn't work - it did for me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:58:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:08 pm »
I agree that I'd be fascinated by the picture on the back of the lorry, but I also think you'd get used to it very quickly.  Seems a good idea to me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:21:03 pm »
Excellent idea.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS