Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We got a second dog! :D  (Read 1720 times)

OGDerpette

• Joined Jul 2015
We got a second dog! :D
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:46 pm »
I posted a few weeks ago that we were looking for a second dog to join our family... well we've got him! ;D He's 4 and a half months roughly and is an absolute sweetheart. We got him from a family who lived in a flat and didn't have the time for him. We got him almost 2 weeks ago and just had to take him home, he's been quite a lot of work but i'm loving it. We were told he was "almost fully trained" but in reality he peed and pood in the house and was shy to do so outside, is scared and barks at men when he first meets them (my poor boyfriend got a bit of a shock!), barks at any dog he sees from a distance, pulls on lead, knows not even the most basic commands, is worried about traveling in the car, has no manners when we're eating and chews EVERYTHING!!!! Fortunately he's a very sweet and gentle dog at heart who wants to please but didn't know how. He's doing really well, he's getting better with house training (take him out often and keep him in his crate if we cant) , he walks nicely on lead when there are no distractions, he's now used to my boyfriend, he's learning his commands quickly, we're taking him on lots of short car journeys to the park so he realises its something fun and with a toy or treat as distraction he barks less at other dogs. He still is very chewy (we're using "anti chew spray" but it doesn't last long) but that is helped when we give him something we want him to chew and it is partly his age. Our first dog Storm isn't great with kids so I try to avoid them on walks but when I was just taking Cooper (the new dog) because Storm had a sore paw, a little child toddled up (looked younger than 2) and before I could say anything Cooper just lay down at his feet, gentle as a lamb and licked him! The toddler was of course delighted and so was I, he truly has a remarkably gentle nature with the elderly as well and I think when he's older he could be a PAT dog!  :) Best of all... Him and Storm get on GREAT!!! They are already best friends and look for one another when in different rooms! They play fight ALL the time haha but are learning not to get too rough! He does try to hump her sometimes but she wont have any of it, she is Neutered and he will be soon too so it's not a huge problem.

Would love to know is anyone has any advice, on anything we have or might yet come across! Thanks!!!  :D :dog:

PS in the pics, Cooper is the pure BC with more black and Storm is the cross that has a pattern a bit like a Frisian cow!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: We got a second dog! :D
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »
I think you are doing JUST GREAT!!
Well done!  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:13:25 am »
Our BT Beinn, did not like the car at all - would evacuate his bowl within minutes of going somewhere in the car.
We used a Kong (other makes are available) and used the cheapest meat paste in it - sorted.  No issues from then on.

OGDerpette

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:38:44 pm »
thanks :) he seems to be getting better in the car, but ill definitely try that if we go on longer journeys :D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
Very nice dog, I hope you enjoy him. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS