Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: disinfecting trailer  (Read 7102 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
disinfecting trailer
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:39:53 pm »
Any advice on disinfecting trailer after collecting and bringing new boar onto our smallholding appreciated!

What do I need to do to comply with regulations?

I gather that there is a list of approved disinfectants - some of them cost a small fortune I found out, and are only available from my local supplier in 1 gal quantities.
When diluted as specified 1 gal would last me indefinately!
Will Jeyes fluid do? On the back of the tin it says that it is approved for poultry at least and kills avian flu virus.

cheers,
Dafydd :pig:

Re: disinfecting trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:39 pm »
Hi,

Firstly ask yourself the question - why you are disinfecting the trailer?

Are you merely doing it to comply with regulations? or do you really want to minimise the risk of disease spread? We have found that bringing new pigs onto our farm to be the most risky type of livestock movement, to such an extent that we now keep any new pigs arriving on their own well away from the others for at least 2 weeks.

Have a look at http://www.battles.co.uk/products/002/animal-health/069/basf/-/-/6715/sorgene-5/  which is available in 2 Litre sizes.

Ok its slightly more expensive than Jeyes Fluid (at around £23+ Vat for 2 Litres), but you pay your money and take your chance.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »
Jeyes fluid is not suitable for pig disinfectant.  Ministry approved disinfectants are pricey but you use such a small amount it lasts ages, plus if you have an inspection they will ask to see it! heres a link to the defra list;
http://disinfectants.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Location=None&module=ApprovalsList_SI

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »
You can buy individual sachets of Vikron from the aggy merchant cost a couple of quid which make up a 2 gallon mix. I clean out the trailer with a bleachy, soapy solution and then finish off with a good drenching of the vikron, leave for 1/2 an hour so it can get in all the grevices and then rinse out with clean water from the hosepipe and leave to air dry.
HTH
Mandy

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »
Hey Dixie Who told you Jeyes is not a suitable disinfectant for pig farm use? I personally have been involved it raising pigs both on the farm and my own I have never ever had any trouble with Jeyes.NOW THEN now then what has Jeyes been forced to leave out by these EU people no doubt I'm not interested to do a Dr Watson
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:05 pm »
As far as I know (following visit from trading standards) jeyes is ok as a general disinfectant but not strong enough to kill off serious bugs that that can pass from farm to farm, ie f&m etc
We used jeyes on our shed when we had red mite, it didnt kill them so I'm inclined to agree!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17:34 am »
Dixie So you hitch your Ifor to your 4X4 load in your stock and take it to the local fatstock market YOU ARE FORCED TO PRESSURE WASH OUT YOUR IFOR BEFORE LEAVING THE SITE No disinfectant in the pressure washer?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:43 am »
Wizard, yep you got it, off I go with clean trailer to the abbatoir, I either have to pressure wash out there or fill in a form to say I'll do it when I get home!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:25 am »
But you could take your disinfectant with you.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:42 am »
Hello All Seems to be quite interesting this topic Please understand all my info is secondhand nowadays I have no stock since I left the farm.I go with Godfrey to the cattle market Thats how I know he cannot leave without pressure washing the Ifor.I do not know if there is a disinfectant in the pressure washer.I don't know how one would apply ones own.My ALKO Home pressure washer has a built in bottle for detergent application which would of course apply disinfectant if it is in the bottle instead of car wash say.If I call at Church Farm Tim may say I pressure washed the trailer out at Newark after I got the sheep out yesterday but I'll give it a good one this morning with ours.I don't know if he isn't happy with the Newark wash or being doubly sure.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:39 am »
I always wash with disinfectant there, but also do it again when I get back.

Doesn't take long to do, and I know then I haven't bought any nasties back onto the smallholding.

Maybe a little over the top.....But makes me happy! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:14:40 am »
Hello Julie s I think thats what I implied really  :pig: :cow: :sheep: ;D :farmer:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:21 am »
 :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:42:38 pm »
Thanks for all the advice and anecdotes. I've now used a  sachet of virkon S from farm and pet locally for £1.80
cheers! :pig:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »
I would think a well spent sum of cash ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS