Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ingenious ways to find land?  (Read 4101 times)

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
Ingenious ways to find land?
« on: July 19, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »
Has anyone obtained by unconventional means? :D I was let down at the beginning of the year on 5 acres and every since i've been trying and trying to find somewhere to make a start.

I need to try different avenues and need ideas in my quest to find a bit of land or woodland.

I'll try anything!! :farmer:
Dreaming big

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Ingenious ways to find land?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:38:24 pm »
My advice would be to find unused bits of land in corners of field's etc. I'll give you an few examples of land within 1 mile of my place, two small fields about 6 acres used to be part of a market garden very overgrown but level ground hasn't been used for 15 years. Field of about 6 acres belonging to a local farmer about a quarter overgrown and on a steep slope not been used for 5 years. A woodland belonging to a large poultry company level but can be wet never be used. Two small fields about 7 acres rented out by another local farmer level and good grass. I know of a couple more about two miles away, you could find more off these bits of land that could be for rent or sale if the price was right. There are lots and lots of spare unused land out there you just have to look and make inquiries.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:41:28 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:12 am »
Maybe easier in some areas than others though.  I too know of lots of parcels of land that don't seem to be used.  But farmers will rarely sell, they might rent land though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:44 am »
Get a good reputation.

Although beware, when you do, everyone wants to give you land. I'm constantly turning down little parcels of unfenced, unwatered, rough as hell grazing!

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:42:33 pm »
It depends what you want it for and how far  you can travel. There are lots of older people who have large overgrown gardens. A friend garden s 5 acres for an elderly neighbour, which means basically mowing the grass and sorting a farmer out to cut the field, which she has been paid for the last 20 years.
 So I would set up a small reliable business which could pay for your kit, and can be used as claimable allowances for tax purpose's, pick an area where there are properties with large gardens and do some networking. Older people know everyone and as with everything its often who you know that gets you things.

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:39:49 pm »
Some fantastic ideas  :D

I want pigs :pig: and my other half wants to grow veggies. I would like to show pigs as well  ;D Ardingly Show ground is 5 minutes up the road. I would start with weaners for meat first as I would like work my way up to breeding etc. I really want to run it as a business and not sure if writing out a business plan would aid us?

We're in Horsted Keynes, West Sussex and only moved here last year. I speak to everyone who comes into my grooming salon about it and have been toying with the idea of put an advert in a couple of local shop windows but unsure about what to put.
Dreaming big

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:34 pm »
facebook - there's this page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/332226653510609/

there may be ones for near you.

Prime location, rightmove, zoopla.

local papers

cards dropped - even if the above link isn't useful, the messages are going to be like you want to sat,

good luck

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:04 pm »
You could also have a chat with local agricutural engineers, go to local agri markets and find the pubs the farmers use. Someone will know someone with a spare bit to rent or manage.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 08:05:45 am »
If anyone lives near Patna in Scotland we have a few acres there doing nothing. You could rent that.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:16:11 am »
Dan , could we start a land bank thread ? Where people can advertise land needed or land up for grabs ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS