Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedge Height  (Read 8255 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Hedge Height
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:56 pm »
Does anyone know what the leagalities are with regard to hedge height between neighbours?  Is there a maximum height?

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: Hedge Height
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
Not sure there is a 'maximum' height...the law regarding hedges refers to what affect the hedge has on 'light' entering/being blocked from your neighbours garden/house...that is to say that if the hedge prevents light entering some/all or part of the garden - or - any of the lower floor windows there is a case to answer.

Hope this helps...

Farmer,  :farmer:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:09:52 am »
Sometimes and especially on new housing it does actually state height of hedges on the deeds.Some are not allowed any front boundaries at all . Hermit

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:02 am »
Check with your local council.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »
I had a feeling it wasn't going to be clear cut!  Thanks anyway.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:22:21 pm »
Can you remember all that ough how a couple of years back where that man chopped his neibours hedge down It was all the rage on TV Policemen and the lot
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:08 pm »
If I remember right a man stabbed and killed his neighbour ove a hedge/boundary issue!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:26 am »
Thats the one I was referring to Miri I was a very large Cyprus as we call them hedge if you recall ???
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:04:00 pm »
Farmer is spot on- there is no real law with regard to hedge height. You/your neighbour is not legally entitlied to have a "view" but you are entitled not to loss a significant amount of light by either a hedge/temporary structure or a building.

Declan

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:52:02 am »
I 'm sure you are right Declan Why has folk got to be so bluddi awkard wi one another The one Miri and I refered to was up the drive and a complete mess it needed nothing to go with it and then to kill some one over it A 5  gallon drum of diesel and a match would have done the trick and, it would need a fence after Cypruss trees dont like diesel very much. :farmer:

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »
Yes under the law of nuisance (in Scotland anyway) you cant do anything that is "plus quam tolerabile" ;D
which means "more than is tolerable."
It is a question of what is reasonable - you cannot do anything on or with your property that affects the value of a neighbours property or reduces their ability to enjoy their property (in the opinion of a reasonable person)

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:50:06 am »
I was checking this out last year and from what I gathered a lot depends on whether it's decidious or evergreen. ::) Apparently evergreen is the same as fencing ie; approx 2 mtrs, however if it's decidious there was no restriction. Mind you that's in Wales it could well be different where you are. You may be able to find out from you local councils website.
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »
I have a hedge down both sides of my property of 30foot high leylandii.  They will have to take me out in a box before I cut them down - they stop the noise of the trains and the road! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Good job your neighbours don't object or they'd be measuring you for a box ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »
I always thought it was 2m max for hedging or fencing.

Oh & up here, you have no right to light ..... found that one out a couple of years back when my mum's next door neighbour put planning in for a large extension on the back of their house.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS