Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ~wonder-land~  (Read 6832 times)

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
~wonder-land~
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »
Hi folks.

Sorry if the title is a bit misleading, I'm actually wondering* if any of you out there either have, or know of, some land for sale, I'm focused on the west coast highlands of Scotland, but I'll consider anywhere and anything, provided the land isn't bear rock. I'm looking to design the land as a productive permaculture demonstration site and perhaps teach from.

I don't have a big budget so am also open to collaboration with folk as I'd prefer to work with people and the opportunities are far better beyond my budget. Neither am I bothered about 'owning' land, so if there's anyone wanting land designed and regenerated (size and scale isn't an issue) in exchange for a spot for me to pitch up on...then I'm interested in that too.

In the long term I'm interested in contributing towards systems that provide people with access and opportunity to work with and on the land.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: ~wonder-land~
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:53:34 am »
hi  :wave:

not sure if I'll be any help but finding land without rock on the west of Scotland may be a problem. I don't know much about permaculture, sounds fascinating but I guess you need to find the right area to be able to acheive your goal  :thumbsup:
someone else will be along who may have some ideas that might help
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »
Perhaps you need to specify what acreage you need and an approximate budget
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:22:11 pm »
hi  :wave:

not sure if I'll be any help but finding land without rock on the west of Scotland may be a problem. I don't know much about permaculture, sounds fascinating but I guess you need to find the right area to be able to acheive your goal  :thumbsup:
someone else will be along who may have some ideas that might help

Hi F-R.

Indeedy, tis the land of rock wind and rain, but as long as it's not bear ,we're good to go, mind you...it's been done. Anywhere is the right area really.

Cheers

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »
Perhaps you need to specify what acreage you need and an approximate budget

Hi Doganjo.

I'm trying to get as much acreage as I can for my budget, which is 50k top max, that's wipe-out number, leaving no funds for infrastructure n' stuff, this...  http://www.ckdgalbraith.co.uk/property/str130030-leac-na-ban-bellanoch-lochgilphead-pa31-8pf  .... would of been great, but I was too late (how, I don't know) and bits like this seldom come up, then woooosh!..when they do.
There's a couple of bits of croft land, but am not keen on forking out reasonably large dosh for anything other that ownership, which they aren't.

So...anything up to 50k and as much land as I can get for it. Maybe folk might know a farmer willing to sell a bit, or woodland perhaps (?).

It doesn't help not being in the vicinity at the mo.

Cheers.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:16:43 pm »
try this lot, if they don't have anything they might point you in the right direction?
http://www.assyntfoundation.org/

what do you mean by bear  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:43:14 pm »
try this lot, if they don't have anything they might point you in the right direction?
http://www.assyntfoundation.org/

what do you mean by bear  ???

One that I enquired about was owned by the Assynt Foundation, wasn't ownership though and when I rang up about it (estate agents) I was told that there was "A verbal agreement on that one", so couldn't go for it anyway.

By 'bear', I mean very thin soils on impermeable rock, open and exposed is fine.

Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:36 pm »
So minimum would be say 5 acres?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »
So minimum would be say 5 acres?

I guess, yes, on a sliding scale, sometimes agricultural and woodland comes up relatively cheaply, but yes, 5 acres is a good start. Although....ad not turn my nose up at something smaller....priced accordingly.

Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
Just wondered because I have a fifth of an acre with outline planning but that would be too small for you.

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:08 pm »
Just wondered because I have a fifth of an acre with outline planning but that would be too small for you.

Yes, it would, but thanks though.

Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 10:54:03 pm »
There is a cattle farm right next to it with 200 acres, might be possible to rent.  Small hamlet, away from prying eyes but accessible

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 11:16:49 pm »
There is a cattle farm right next to it with 200 acres, might be possible to rent.  Small hamlet, away from prying eyes but accessible

Any chance on them selling a bit you think?.....or a or a tough enough ask on renting alone?

Cheers

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »
I sold them the  field before my husband died - 7 acres.  Worst thing i ever did, but it never occurred to me i'd want to sell that piece of land.  Don't think they'd sell it back to me, but they might to a new owner.  It's not your prefered area anyway, Aberdeenshire.

Entropy-juggling

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 11:55:58 pm »
I sold them the  field before my husband died - 7 acres.  Worst thing i ever did, but it never occurred to me i'd want to sell that piece of land.  Don't think they'd sell it back to me, but they might to a new owner.  It's not your prefered area anyway, Aberdeenshire.

Not preferred, no, but..am not ruling anything out.

If it's not to much hassle, could you give me  a rough idea of the lands, elevation, orientation, prevailing winds and is it situated up or down slope from the main activity of the 200 acres?....or perhaps just let me know the coordinates of the land.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:08:29 pm by Entropy-juggling »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS