Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs on our farm.  (Read 10129 times)

lunanlife

• Joined Jan 2010
Dogs on our farm.
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:39 pm »
Our GSD dog used to be chased by 2 Jackadoodle dogs owned by a neighbour who lives in the middle of our farm. A few months ago after gaining some confidence our dog decided she had had enough and ended up rupturing one of the dog’s spleens. The police came out, after being called by our neighbour, to check the dog and were happy that she was not dangerous. As we head into the lighter months and we work that part of the farm longer I am concerned that this will happen again. Also these dogs are locked up for over 9 hours a day and then let loose to roam free after that.

The police advised us to put up a sign saying Farm Dogs Loose but will this really cover us if our dog injures one of these dogs again or worse?

We are also going to write a letter to the owner of the dogs (our neighbour is not the real owner) detailing that we cannot be held responsible for these dogs if they are allowed to roam free on the farm.

Any other suggestions on what we can do? There is no reasoning with this neighbour. We offered her the opportunity to take the dogs onto the farm early on when they were killing chickens to introduce them to the horses, chickens, pigs and dogs but she declined. Recently she agreed to stop allowing the dogs on the farm but did not stick to this agreement.

I have added a link below. You can see our dog in action when she adopted some goslings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70kQHvacNU

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Dogs on our farm.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:57:12 pm »
Hello lunanlife.Please ask someone that knows the 2010 law regarding this Police say bit.I dropped foul of it a number of years ago.Yes it advises people and according to my solicitor you also accept liability.Why because you have told them you know about it.You must not put a sign up MUD ON THE ROAD you have accepted liability YOU KNOW.I thought I was being a good chap warning people and I was until it happened Beware ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »
I dont know what to suggest for the best, as your neighbour seems not to want to work with you on this.
Do you have a local dog warden, or rescue (eg RS/SSPCA) that could advise?

Also wanted to say... what a lovely, laid back dog! Our GSD wouldnt stand for any of that!
Little Blue

lunanlife

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »
Thanks Wizard I will check into the signage laws.

Little Blue, I contacted the SSPCA and they said that I should without doubt get a solicitor involved. It would probably be best if we went down this route to make sure where we stand. We are probably as laid back as our dog though and really don't like the idea of getting bogged down with solicitors and having the police involved. However our neighbour wouldn't think twice about doing this so maybe we should get in there 1st.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:07 am »
What a lovely dog - our collies would have eaten them, I think.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »
Write to the dog owner and tell him that you will take legal action unless he keeps his dogs under control and off your land...and that you will not be responsible for anything that happens if he/she fails to comply...put up notices warning that dogs found loose on your land/harrasing your livestock will be shot...then buy a gun!

Farmer,  :farmer:

sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
It's amazing how caring a male dog can be, our 18mth old Black Lab male has been so good with the puppies and very caring.
There is a farmer here who shoots ANY dog that is on his land, it's well know so people keep a tight reign on thier dogs near his land, frightens me but then I keep away!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:13:05 am »
Hello all Sandy as I have said many times Its the dog that gets shot because it is to much trouble for inconsiderate owners to look after them properly.I have no doubt at all your loverly dog wouldn't dream of harming the pregnant ewes but do the ewes know that the dog only wants to play.Untold damage can be the result as I am sure you are well aware.I wont go into loose dogs in 3's and 4's sheep chasing and My dog wouldn't chase sheep when the policeman comes and you show him 3 dead ewes and two dead dogs.Thats my dog pointing. If he didn't, why is he dead shot with this one chasing my sheep.Some of the sods think its their devine right to allow their dogs to worry sheep.NOT in my world its not.Its the dog thats copped it not the rotten owner ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:02 pm »
Our daughter is making us a sign that says, 'If dogs are found loose on this land they will be confiscated and re homed and the owners will be shot!'

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:08:27 pm »
Excellent!!!  I like that a lot! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »
would you like to borrow an Anschutz 1907 it usually pelts the bit exactly where you point it ;D :wave: :farmer:

sandy

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »
I like that too, working with difficult families in the past I felt some parents should be shot! ;)!(not really, I am a pacifist!)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
think the legal hitch with signs is the wording "beware" this is saying you have potentially dangerous dog, "caution dogs loose"think is now prefered sign

lunanlife

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

I agree it is the owners who need to take responsibility. When we take our dog off the farm, which is rarely ever, we always have her on a lead because we don't know what she could do outside her bounderies. I would like to get hold of our neighbours dogs and just spend an hour rehabilitating them. Then it wouldn't work of course because they would end up being locked up again for over 9 hours every day.

I am still waiting to get the letter back from our solicitor to make sure we havn't made ourselves liable in anyway. I think that is impossible nowadays though isn't it!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:13:16 am »
I d be speaking to police Luna or if you have any friends in the legal world (cheaper than paying fees) and see what they can find out, you shouldnt need to deal with this and neither should your animals, the owner sounds like a right ignoramous, must be ever so worrying for you, good luck  ):)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS