Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help with sweet itch  (Read 11914 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: help with sweet itch
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »
WEll id dont want to tempt fate but little Misssy has nt a mark on her, i do put fly spray on her of course but other than that the sea wind up on the headland is doing a great job.  They are here however, as i ve seen them on lower levels of the farm, but its just too brisk up there.

I like the Rambo hoodie for its thinckness, it feels robust, but as you say there are always gaps, with this filly i filled in the gaps with the stop itch salve.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »
I don't want to tempt it either, but Smokey's fine so far. I've been putting on fly spray but no rug. I've also been feeding him extra brewers' yeast. Maybe the cold killed all the midges  ???

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 08:02:11 am »
I'm only going by what people who have changed over from the Rambo rug to a purpose-designed sweet itch rug have told me - everyone seems to find the Boett-style rugs much more effective. But mostly that's for quite severe sufferers, often in really bad midge areas.

The Pagony (see below) is a good option for anyone who wants a "proper" sweet itch rug without paying a high price - it's even cheaper than the Rambo.

beany

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26:17 am »
Try Avon skin so soft ladies moisturiser absolutley fab as a fly repelent both for horses and people. My friend used it as her only fly repelent when she went on a riding safari ion Kenya and she was the only one who didn't get bitten. I know lots of people who use it on horses. Just comb through manes and tails or apply direct toface. Plus as is used on people you can be fairly confident that it has been well tested and should not cause allergic reactions.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »
Hi , yes I havent had any problems with Bensol Benzoate but I guess it would be sensible to do a skintest first. If your horse is ok with it, it works a treat and is a fraction of the price of most other products.

I've been using BB for years. I used to get it from Boots in 1 ltr bottles. I bought a stock before moving to france, so I don't know if they still do it. But it certainly works for us. I apply it by hand with the plastic gloves from the petrol station

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS