Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding hay slowly  (Read 4097 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Feeding hay slowly
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:55:14 pm »
For various reasons, I don't like feeding hay from haynets so I put Smokey's hay on the floor of his loose box. This is fine insofar as he doesn't waste any (the amount he gets is restricted to keep his weight down) but he eats it really quickly. The yard owner said he thought he had seen something that would help but he couldn't remember the name. It was basically a box with a mesh top; you fill the box with hay (or in Smokey's case 1/4 fill it!!) and put the mesh on top; as the horse pulls the hay out through the mesh it falls down.

I don't think it woudl be too hard to make something like this but if there is a product commercially available, I'd like to have a look at it.

Can anyone help?

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: Feeding hay slowly
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:08:06 pm »
You can get them corner munching station thingys, you have the bars at the bottom and the feed manger sits on top, you could apply the same design but with mesh instead of bars?
pic from robinson
Hope it helps, Danielle x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:49:58 am »
Search under goat mangers, they are suppose to cut down on waste, and may slow down your boy.
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »
Found a USA thing called the "Slowdown Hay Feeder / Soaker" but can't find if it's available in the UK. Also a Hay Hutch, again USA.

May have to get one made...

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:30:44 pm »
we did this for a while until we needed something bigger, an old bread delivery basket or similar and a car elasticated cargo net clipped on over, works fine.

mandy ;D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »
I have heard of people putting one net inside the other, or use a small hole haylage net ?  :D

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »
Out of curiosity rosemary, did you make something??

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:02:15 pm »
Ooops sorry I shouldve read the thread properly   ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »
Not yet. I found a feeder called the Hay Hutch but it's quite expensive. There were a few ideas on You Tube - mainly wooden boxes with either haylage nets secured inside them or with weld mesh tops that go down as the hay drops down. I think we'll be able to fashion something once we move north. No doubt it will feature on TAS somewhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS