Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep themed craftswanted for market stall.  (Read 4623 times)

banbha

• Joined Mar 2010
Sheep themed craftswanted for market stall.
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:06:01 am »
Hi I am just setting up a market stall selling our lamb, and that from local farmer but would also like some sheep themed crafts/gifts to sell.
If anyone knits, or makes such items and would like to sell them please contact me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sheep themed craftswanted for market stall.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:21:23 am »
Hmm shame no-one had any ideas for this.  I have been asked to spin (to decorate the stall  ;D ) by my butcher at the next farmers market.  If I had some little things to sell, that would make my day worthwhile - instead of being an opportunity to freeze myself solid.  I do have some little multi-coloured knitted sheep but they won't make my fortune  :)  Does no-one have any good ideas?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:54:59 am »
Does it have to be 'sheepy'?
Knitted hats are very popular at the moment, especially those with the ear-flaps and dangly bits of cord - I'm sure there's a name for them?
Off the wall - what about Sheep Poo chocolates? Like you get Reindeer poo chocolate at Christmas? I've just googled that and found "Yorkshire Sheep Poo" which is chocolate covered raisins. I'm sure you could personalise it to your flock? (Google is my friend  :D)
What about a big knitted sheep and have people guess it's name? For a fee, of course. Winner gets the sheep. Of course if you call it Mucilaginous  ;D or some other bizarre name, no-one will win. If it's too obvious many people will win. You could refine it and you get to choose the best name?
My final suggestion at this early hour is home made Mint Sauce. Sprigs of fresh Rosemary? Rosemary Salt?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:09:58 am »
I make goats milk soap, trade name baaa-th time. our minty baaa of soap could quite easily be the 'mint sauce' baaa!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:39:47 am »
Thank you both - some ideas to work on there.  On one open day here we had 'guess the name of the (real) sheep'.  He was called Cuthbert and of course no-one got it in spite of some massive clues.  Mucilaginous the snotty sheep - hmm  ;D ;D. But a big woolly sheep - I'll work on that - literally :)
The herbs are a top idea.
I made myself one of those hats - I love it (and it stays on in the wind).  I think anything I add to the stall will have to be sheepy.  I have eaten the Yorkshire sheep poos - very tasty  ;D

So thanks for some ideas to work on.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:26 am »
Picking up on the herbs.
Is there a rub you use yourself when roasting your lamb? You could sell a 'recommended' rub?

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:17 am »
I make goats milk soap, trade name baaa-th time. our minty baaa of soap could quite easily be the 'mint sauce' baaa!
Marketing phrase - 'Add some sauce to your baaa-th time' ?  :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:22 am »
Love it - might have to borrow that one Stevemo!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:12:13 am »
It's yours  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »
<< Picking up on the herbs.
Is there a rub you use yourself when roasting your lamb? You could sell a 'recommended' rub?>>

Hi Mo.  No, I just sprinkle with plain old Herbes de Provence and sometimes add a fresh sprig of rosemary.  I don't like garlic with lamb - too strong.  But I will suggest to the butcher that he makes up something like that - good idea  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS