Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you advise a laquered wheel or an danish oiled wheel?  (Read 8225 times)

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Would you advise a laquered wheel or an danish oiled wheel?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 11:14:02 am »
I've got size 8 feet and short legs. I simply can't use a double treadle Traveller because I run out of space to move, plus it's annoying to have to sit in the same knees together position for hours on end. But that's just my particular shape, your shape will be different. Which is why it's much better to try before you buy.

I don't like double treadles in general anyway though. I've got back issues and find the faint rocking of the pelvis when you use a double treadle sets me twinging. Plus it's better for a dodgy back to be able to change position regularly, with a double treadle you're pretty well stuck in one place. As to treadling being hard on one leg I swap over now and again.

More newbies get on with double treadle wheels than single treadles at first though. There's a learning curve of about 20 minutes to learn to use a single treadle, a double treadle is pretty well instant to learn.  if you're in a shop with a sales person lurking around while you try the wheels then 20 minutes on one wheel may not be an option. One more reason hiring a wheel from your Guild or buying a cheaper second hand one that holds it's resale value is a good idea. You need to be able to use a wheel a little bit before your personal preferences start to emerge.

Having said all that I bought a second hand wheel (Louet S10, single treadle Irish tension) blind off Ebay and taught myself on it before I had a clue about anything. I was lucky though, got a decent wheel at a rock bottom price that I could have sold on easily if I'd not liked it. It's not recommended to do it this way through!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 11:24:14 am »
For banging your shins on the Ashford Traveller's table, I've never done that, so went and tried it out. In a natural position for me to spin, my shins are a good 5" from the wood. Even sitting so close my specs went out of focus I still couldn't touch my shins against the wood  :D.  I'm 5' 4" tall so fairly average.
For spinning in a relaxed way, you need to sit back a bit, not hunched over your wheel.  If you do hunch over it, you will get a sore back and your yarn will tend to come out tight and overtwisted.  For all stages of spinning you need to hold your hands and body in a relaxed position, back fairly straight and a comfortable distance away from the orifice.  :spin:

I don't sit hunched over a wheel,  quite the reverse, but I do have fat legs ;)

I haven't ever tried spinning on that double treadle Traveller sat on a different - lower - chair, which might have helped.

Oh, and I'm 5'5"

I wasn't meaning you personally Sally.  Your legs would have to be ginormous for that to be a problem, and I know they're not.
I'm also sure you don't hunch over your wheel, because you spin a lot but don't walk about with a crick in your back; that advice was for WDW, the OP.

I was wondering about seat height too.  If I spin from my armchair on the Traveller, it is very awkward, but from my Wave Stool it's ideal, although the stool is higher than the armchair.  For the Lendrum Saxony, it's the other way round - can't spin on it at all from the Wave Stool.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
 :-*   :wave:  and  :celebrate: and  :cake: :cake: too!   ;D

I do have a permanent crick in my back, actually, but it's eased by spinning (luckily!) not the reverse :relief:

And m'legs aren't slender...  :innocent:   Actually, reading Isabella's post, I think it's probably the short (and in my case fat) legs, size 7+ feet thing.  Maybe also that my preferred treadle is a heel-toe single treadle, so it could be that I position my feet on a double treadle in a way that isn't ideal for that style of treadle  :thinking:

WDW has probably left the forum thinking, "Are all spinners this opinionated and argumentative?"  (To which the answer is probably Yes and Yes!  lol)

I wish you were nearer to me, WDW, you could come over and try a variety of single treadle wheels, and come to our group once a month or another group about an hour away once a week, and try some double treadles too...  and if you liked a single treadle traddy you could loan one from my Guild...  :idea:  Shall you be going to Fibre-East next weekend?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:33 pm »

I was wondering about seat height too.  If I spin from my armchair on the Traveller, it is very awkward, but from my Wave Stool it's ideal, although the stool is higher than the armchair.  For the Lendrum Saxony, it's the other way round - can't spin on it at all from the Wave Stool.
Its obvious that what suits one doesn't suit another. I am most comfortable using my Traveller when sitting in the armchair, the complete opposite to fleecewife. I do have a proper spinning stool and can't get comfortable on that at all. By the way I am 5'.5 and a half". I think its the half inch that makes all the difference  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 09:11:30 pm »
Well I now think I am an expert because I have just finished knitting a hat from my home spun angora. Ha ha. Some of these ladies have been spinning for years and really know their stuff. Anyway for what it is worth...  I did a 2 day course at Wingham wool last year, loved it, gave me a chance to try all the different wheels they sell. I bought the traveller- oiled it and we live happily together.
If you are in Suffolk FibreEast is on in Ampthill this weekend and you could probably try most of the wheels there for size.

I am about 5'5" and have the second largest calfs in England ( my sister says hers are bigger)

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 08:09:39 am »
Thank you Fleecewife. I have ordered the Traveller, natural finish, scotch tension, double treadle  :) If it is in stock it will be delivered this week with a selection of batts to get me started.
I do appreciate all your replies, thank you.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 08:17:55 am »
Happy spinning.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 09:17:57 am »
Congratulations, do let us know how you get on. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:47 am »
Yes, do let us know how you get on  :spin: It's such a lovely hobby
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:48 pm »
New wheel.  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS