Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you advise a laquered wheel or an danish oiled wheel?  (Read 8228 times)

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
I am about to purchase my first spinning wheel but cannot decide whether to have the wheel lacquered or Danish oiled. The wheel I have chosen is the Ashford Traveller Double treadle as it looks nice and compact and I have been told will spin the same as an Elizabeth, plus if I do find the time to join a local spinning group it will be portable. When I place the order I plan to purchase a maintenance kit, a pair of hand carders and a niddy noddy. Have I covered the basics to get started? I will be attempting to spin Ryeland fleece from our small flock. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the finish of the wheel, your comments would be most welcome.  Thank you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Would you advise a laquered wheel or an danish oiled wheel?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:14:49 pm »
Good choice of wheel  :spin: :thumbsup: .

Truly the finish is for you to decide, it's such a personal thing. 
If you love wood, its grain and colour, then Danish oil looks very good, with a depth to it, and you can mollycoddle your wheel by re-Danish oiling it every year.  It takes many coats of the oil though to get a perfect finish, because some of the wood of your wheel will necessarily be cut on the cross, which doesn't sand as well as wood sawn along the grain.
Lacquer is much more about looking smart and shiny, than about loving the wood.  It's hard wearing and doesn't have to be done again, at east for years.  Lacquer gives a hard, IKEA type finish.
I prefer Danish oil for my wheels because I love their wood.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:25:18 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:58 pm »
I would Danish oil too

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »
Good choice of wheel :)

On finishing, I'm a Danish Oil fan too.  It's much cheaper to buy it natural and finish it yourself, too. ;)

I didn't buy a swift for a long time, nor a nostepinne, using BH's hands and a loo roll inner.  Now I have an umbrella swift and a ball winder and I wouldn't be without them ;)

A spin dryer for the fleece.

A dog comb / slicker brush to top 'n' tail the locks before you put them on the hand carders.

A fine-nozzled bottle for applying oil to the wheel.  (Note, I think this may now be included in the maintenance kit.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:48:14 pm »
Good choice of wheel :)

You have tried one, though, haven't you?  Before you order?  And you have tried, not just for 10 minutes either, a double treadle?  (I love the Traveller single treadle but bang my shins on the double treadle's table.)  Wheel choice is highly individual, and I really wouldn't buy a brand new one if I hadn't tried one.

Travellers don't spin the same as an Elizabeth.  They use the same flyers and bobbins.  The Elizabeth is a Saxony style wheel, the Traveller a castle style wheel.  If you can spin on a Lizzie then you should be able to spin on a Traveller, but it is different.  Also, have you thought about whether you want scotch tension / single drive or double drive?  If you've been using a Lizzie, it may well have been in double drive.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:45 am »
I'm another one for Danish oil.
I have a traditional and a double treadle traveller but since I bought the traveller the traditional hasn't had a look in  :)
Both of mine were secondhand
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:40:15 am »
Thank you everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful. I have decided on Danish oil finish, so thank you for helping me make my mind up on that  :). I haven't yet tried a spinning wheel, (oh dear, I can hear the groans!), but it has been my ambition to spin for so many years. I have taken the view as I have nothing to compare with I will learn on what I get, however I am now confused as to what tension would be best and am I right on double treadle after reading Sally's comments on banging her knees and yet Bionic seems happy with hers. Not sure if this is relevant, but I drive an automatic car now so I am used to using one foot rather than two so would a single treadle be preferable? 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 12:24:45 pm »
Not sure if this is relevant, but I drive an automatic car now so I am used to using one foot rather than two so would a single treadle be preferable? 

That's actually not a daft question.  A dear spinning friend of mine found that when learning, she couldn't cope with using only one foot while using two hands, but as soon as she tried a double treadle, so she was using both feet and both hands, she was away!   :D  Now she can use single or double treadle, and has one wheel of each.

WDW, I would strongly urge you to buy a secondhand wheel to start with, and/or join a local Guild (I don't know where in Suffolk you are, but there are Guilds at Bury St Edmunds and Lavenham) or other spinning group (there's a comprehensive list in Yarnmaker magazine) that can lend / hire you a wheel, so that you don't end up losing money buying a new wheel that doesn't suit you longer term.

There are many older Ashford Traditional and Traveller wheels around, they're easy to get working and use, and if you subsequently decide you'd like a different wheel or a new one of the type you've learned on, then you can sell on the wheel you originally bought secondhand for the same as you paid for it.

If you're adamant you will buy a new Traveller, though, then they come as double drive / scotch tension (ie., they will do both) as standard now.  The default is double treadle but you can special-order a single treadle.

I can't tell you how to know whether you will prefer single or double treadle except to try one of each!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 02:53:41 pm »
I don't think there's anything wrong with buying your chosen wheel before you know how to spin - it's exactly what I did.  My first wheel was an Ashford Traddie and did me well as a starter.  Then I wanted something to carry about with me and bought an Ashford Traveller.  I also have a big Lendrum Saxony wheel imported from Canada, which is wonderful to spin on, but heavy to move around, and takes up rather a lot of space. 

Which one do I use most?  The Traveller.  Mine is Scotch tension - this is far simpler than double drive to learn with.  The Lendrum is double drive and took me a while to get to grips with.   The Traddie is Scotch tension, and single treadle.  I found the single treadle, if I was spinning a lot, was very tiring on the leg doing all the work, and let the other leg get a bit puffy with just sitting there for hours.  Both the Lendrum and the Traveller are double treadle.
An advantage of double treadle when you are learning, is that it's much easier to get your wheel turning in the right direction when you set off. Single treadle is a bit uneven and tends to set off backwards before you get the knack.

So to summarise all that, my Ashford Traveller is Scotch Tension, double treadle and is my favourite of the three wheels for picking up and getting on with spinning. 
 I think you may do best to keep it simple, start with an Ashford Traveller with Scotch Tension, and double treadle, learn to spin on it, and if you hate it, then sell it and buy something else - wheels change hands without problems. Don't clutter up your mind with whether this or that wheel may be best.  For hundreds of years people have spun on the wheel they had, without an option to choose something else, and they did excellent spinning.
Ashford wheels are straight forward, inexpensive, there are plenty of spare parts available and just about everyone who spins knows how to use an Ashford, so help is readily available should you need it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:56:18 pm by Fleecewife »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »
For banging your shins on the Ashford Traveller's table, I've never done that, so went and tried it out. In a natural position for me to spin, my shins are a good 5" from the wood. Even sitting so close my specs went out of focus I still couldn't touch my shins against the wood  :D.  I'm 5' 4" tall so fairly average.
For spinning in a relaxed way, you need to sit back a bit, not hunched over your wheel.  If you do hunch over it, you will get a sore back and your yarn will tend to come out tight and overtwisted.  For all stages of spinning you need to hold your hands and body in a relaxed position, back fairly straight and a comfortable distance away from the orifice.  :spin:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:04:37 pm by Fleecewife »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »
I also have an automatic car and don't find using the double treadle a problem. Sometimes I am lazy though and just use one of the treadles it works just as well
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:28:17 pm »
I'm another automatic car driver but prefer double treadle. I agree with FW that it can be hard on the leg doing the work. When I had a single treadle wheel, I used to swap legs every so often to give one a rest.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 10:28:14 am »
I'm another automatic car driver but prefer double treadle. I agree with FW that it can be hard on the leg doing the work. When I had a single treadle wheel, I used to swap legs every so often to give one a rest.

I seem to be seriously right legged, so trying to use the left foot to give the right a break never really worked.  It made my spinning a bit jerky and uneven.  Both together is fine for me.   I suppose everyone is different, which is why we have the various options, including an electric spinner (never fancied one - I think it will be my hands which give up before my legs do)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 10:36:27 am »
For banging your shins on the Ashford Traveller's table, I've never done that, so went and tried it out. In a natural position for me to spin, my shins are a good 5" from the wood. Even sitting so close my specs went out of focus I still couldn't touch my shins against the wood  :D.  I'm 5' 4" tall so fairly average.
For spinning in a relaxed way, you need to sit back a bit, not hunched over your wheel.  If you do hunch over it, you will get a sore back and your yarn will tend to come out tight and overtwisted.  For all stages of spinning you need to hold your hands and body in a relaxed position, back fairly straight and a comfortable distance away from the orifice.  :spin:

I don't sit hunched over a wheel,  quite the reverse, but I do have fat legs ;)

I haven't ever tried spinning on that double treadle Traveller sat on a different - lower - chair, which might have helped.

Oh, and I'm 5'5"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 10:40:27 am »
If the OP was considering buying a secondhand wheel, I would then totally echo all the 'just get one and start spinning' sentiments.  It's the purchase of a new one when she doesn't even know if she likes single or double treadle that is bothering me.  You will lose money if you buy a new one and then decide it's not the one for you.

However, it is probably true that more people like double treadle than hate it, and more people hate single treadle than love it, so if you must buy new untried, double is probably a better bet. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS