Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tailing a 5 month old lamb, how can it be done?  (Read 4102 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Tailing a 5 month old lamb, how can it be done?
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
Lamb missed the rubber ring and it's being kept for breeding. How can I remove the tail at this age,?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Tailing a 5 month old lamb, how can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:03 pm »
I would consult my vet if I were you.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »
Don't bother, just make sure you keep it crutched.

Swaledale ewes aren't tailed as they need the woolly protection for their growing udders over winter.  Some farms clip the appropriate region a week or so before tupping, to be sure the tup doesn't stub himself  :o or miss.

As lambs, they mostly do just fine, but you have to be vigilant about mucky bottoms and get at them with the clippers straight away.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »
Probly easier to leave it be now, unless its a breed prone to dagginess/mucky bums

Just dag it off when you crutch them before breeding

If you really really want it docked probly best to ask the vet

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
Keep the underside of the tail shorn, and the inside of the legs if it's a Down breed.   I tail mine at the same time as spray marking them before they leave the mothering up pen for the nursery shed and then turnout. 

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies, it's a texel x Suffolk it has long wool and would be prone to dags as its mothers the same. I think we had them burned off years ago with some sort of device but can't remember what age at , it's just a pet lamb that was in the house for two weeks at birth as it was very sick for weeks and miraculously survived so everyone wants to keep it :) she even has a name haha

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:14:29 pm »
It is a Vet job now

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 07:41:28 pm »
Had the lamb in today , trimmed the longest wool on its tail and dagged it. Sprayed with ectofly so hopefully it will be grand with tail on :)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:55:16 pm »
I have several breeding ewes that came to me as orphans with long tails - I do have to watch them more closely during the fly season but so long as you are vigilant it should be fine.  The worst one is a Suffolk x!  I've also got a lamb from this year who was tailed but think the ring must have broken, as her tail is long and bushy now  ::) . Trouble with long tails and thick fleeces they are very prone to catching all the droppings if the sheep scours, which can be difficult to remove if it's left!  But not too much of a problem if they are dagged in good time  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:39 am »
I wouldn't bother. I had bwm and they all had long tails,  never had an issue :) it will be just fine I am sure

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS