Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and caravans! Advice/suggestions please!  (Read 4521 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Cats and caravans! Advice/suggestions please!
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:58 am »
Good news, fellow smallholders! We've finally bought some land and the planners are giving us the wink for a house on site.  We're currently putting together our application for planning permission.

Meanwhile, our rented property is being put on the market for sale, and we have until the end of August to move out.  As humans we're quite happy with this, the timing works well.  We can pitch our touring caravan on a nearby site for a mini-season and save lots of money until our permission for a static on our land comes through.  But what do we do with the cats in the meantime?

Our old lady cat has a strong bond with me, and I think she'd prefer to be with me (even in a touring caravan) than get out to play.  But our younger cat, Fruitbat, is a wildly energetic and likes to hunt mice, rabbits and hare.  She would be demented in a caravan or a cattery.  Family members won't take her as she has a tendency to scratch on legs and furniture, but she is really is a lovely (but crazy) lady.  Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could accommodate her for possibly two months??

(I don't want to rehome her through the charities as I am really quite fond of her, and while she'd be happy on a farm for a short period, she also likes her home comforts)

Many thanks folks!

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Re: Cats and caravans! Advice/suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:06 pm »
Ah, further information.  Husband just said in an outrage 'we are NOT having a litter tray in the touring caravan!', which means that our older cat might need to be accommodated too.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:13:17 pm »
Hi Roundlaw Lynn
What about an awning for your caravan?

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:58 pm »
Shed?  You'll need sheds anyway for your small holding :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »
A nice cats' hotel.  Especially if they'll have each other for company.

I ended up with my boy in a cattery for several weeks, which I was most dubious about as he's always been very active.  I visited the cattery before booking him in; they had all indoor accommodation, plenty of toys and so on, and all the cats were very calm and content.  I tried him for a short stay to see how he coped, as he was a very active boy, and he was absolutely fine.  So I booked him for the long stay, and he was fine after that too.  The only thing was that he'd lost a lot of muscle tone, but that came back soon enough.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:47:56 pm »
When I was a child our cat used to go on holiday with us, would only appear to be fed and then would turn up when we packed the car to go home and travelled loose in the car. At one of the festivals there is a cat that belongs to a camper that spends most of the week being stroked by passes by, they are there for four days.
 I would say, get them used to being fed in the van, keep them in for a couple of days, and then its up to whether they find better digs,if they don't they will stay.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:41 pm »
A nice cats' hotel. 

I ended up with my boy in a hotel for several weeks, which I was most dubious about as he's always been very active.  I visited  before booking him in; they had all indoor accommodation, plenty of toys and so on, and all the others were very calm and content.  I tried him for a short stay to see how he coped, as he was a very active boy, and he was absolutely fine.  So I booked him for the long stay, and he was fine after that too.  The only thing was that he'd lost a lot of muscle tone, but that came back soon enough.

How about a nice husband hotel while you and the cats go to the caravan !    :excited:  by Sally's description I'd love a few weeks there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:03:54 pm by stufe35 »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 09:04:45 pm »
Shed.
Our 17 year old cat moved with us from the only place he had known although we were sure he would struggle as he is an outside cat. His own space was gradually increased from the confines of a hen run over a period of two weeks and he is now quite settled. He had not used a litter tray since he was a kitten but took to it - and moved on from it seemlessly.
Good luck - and great news about your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46:43 pm »
Ah, further information.  Husband just said in an outrage 'we are NOT having a litter tray in the touring caravan!', which means that our older cat might need to be accommodated too.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

How about a new husband ;)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 06:45:47 pm »
I am travelling and lots of folk on caravan sites take their cats with them.  I don't see a problem.  Leave one of the windows open and something outside so the cat can jump up to get in. 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS