Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Longwools and flies  (Read 8184 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Longwools and flies
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:04:19 am »
I never thought I would consider using something so environmentally harmful as Clik or Clikzin. 

However, last night my black Wensleydale Wincey was literally crawling with headflies, making her very miserable.

She was shorn just over three weeks ago and already has a good inch thick curly fleece.

They were crawling in amongst the locks, particularly on one spot on her shoulder, but all over.  And, as headflies do, pestering on behind her ears, where they have taken the most outer layer of skin off.

I can and will give her a dose of Crovect, and do the horned sheep in the batch on their heads also, to deter the headflies.

However, thinking about her long long wool, that she's black, and the impending greenbottle season, I feel very dubious that Crovect will give her enough protection against blowfly strike, as it only protects the fleece that has been sprayed.

What do others with longwools do?  Is Clikzin my only option?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: Longwools and flies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:23:48 am »
Spot on works the best for headflies, although crovect has a much more potent smell,
I tend to use a dab of crovect on the back of the head and 2 mls of spot on on top of the poll, or just 2 mls of spot on on top of the pol, in a line between the ears really

Only downside is the cost  :o I have bought crovect this year to put on heads instead just because of the cost of the spot on at mole valley

Click wont affect headflies as it does not stop flies from landing, it just stops the maggots from hatching (I believe) but yes Clikzin or Clik is best to use to prevent blow fly strike, Clik prefered as you wont have to re apply so often

I have sheep that seem to be very prone to headflies and are suffering right now, will be gathering them up to apply crovect this week

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:23:52 am »
Use Spot-On for head fly - 1 to 2ml on the poll does the trick for about a month.  I've not found Crovect very good for head fly and hard to apply without getting it places where you don't want it (like in the eyes!).
As for the longwool and blow-fly, no idea sorry (other than the long term method of culling anything that gets struck).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:31:26 am »
As for the longwool and blow-fly, no idea sorry (other than the long term method of culling anything that gets struck).

I bought these two as a trial, to see if we could keep longwools here.  They were miserable all winter, despite having been thoroughly crutched before winter, worried me pre-shearing, have been very happy indeed for a couple of weeks post-shearing and are now plagued by flies.   :(

So I've accepted that this is not the place for longwools, sadly.  I was planning to take a clip before winter, leaving them an inch or so going into winter - but if I have to Clikzin, I might have to rethink that.  I could house them over winter, I suppose - I am sure they would be very happy.

I really like these two sheep, and really want to put them to Chad, my Shetland tup, this year.  But just at this moment I am thinking I may have to sell them to somewhere that's more suitable for them. 

Feeling a bit glum, really.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:39:26 am »
Use Spot-On for head fly - 1 to 2ml on the poll does the trick for about a month.

We use Crovect and find it effective. 

However, something I could apply more topically and safely is of interest... which of the many Spot-On products do you use?  There seem to be a gazillion different Spot-Ons, not all do headflies... my head hurts

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:40:13 am »
I just ordered three Red Top Fly Traps too. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:45:24 am »
Windy field? 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:15 am »
Windy field?

Not a daft suggestion at all.

The Wenseys run with my fleece flock, many of whom are escape artists.  BH has allocated me a ridiculous amount of space already, I can't expect him to let me take another pasture off him! 

If I have to, I could run the Wenseys with some of his commercials.  But in truth, although we're an upland farm, there isn't really anywhere so open and windswept that there isn't a fly problem. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:17:54 am »
Cooper's Spot-On but it's changed hands hasn't it several times. I think it's Zoetis/Pfizer now.  Norbrook have one too, called Spotinor, its the same chemical (deltamethrin 1%).  The label doesn't mention head fly on either of them, but it works.  Mine suffer from April through to October from head fly - some more than others though, so alas I think I'm going to have this as another cross on the reasons to cull list :(.

If you have pasture that has no (or few) trees or hedges that should minimise the head flies. (!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:06 am »
Thanks.   Think I'll stick with Crovect, as it seems to work for the problem here.  As far as I know we've never blinded a sheep doing it - BH is very good at it.

Even the pastures we have with few trees or hedges have reshes, I don't think there's anywhere on a wet Cumbrian upland farm that's going to be a solution in its own right.   :(

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 07:55:41 am »
http://www.medifarm.co.uk/stopmyasis.html

Above is a more 'natural' product but needs applying more often I think, don't know about how effective it is ?

Fly strike and overheating are 2 of the problems that are increased by the production of unnatural amounts of wool

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:02 pm »
We tried Wensleydales here last year and never ever again although i did like their temperaments and our daughter used to like sitting on the tup who was pony sized. We found they looked nice but spent all winter looking cold and depressed, they didn't like the rain which in Cumbria is a bit of an issue, spent all summer looking hot, were too heavy to turn and we didn't dare dip them due to their size/weight, ate a ridiculous amount of grass just to maintain weight, would get fly strike on any inch they didn't have crovect on and the lambs we had off them were dopey and while they were big needed too higher input to get to weight.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:28 pm »
Only downside is the cost  :o I have bought crovect this year to put on heads instead just because of the cost of the spot on at mole valley

Their MoleEcto product is pretty much the same as Crovect, but £13.44 (about 16%) cheaper:

Crovect 5l £81.24  inc VAT
Butyl Dioxitol  <98.%
Cypermethrin High  1.25%

Molecto 5l £67.80  inc VAT
Active substance(s):
Cypermethrin tech. 1.25% w/v
Excipient(s): Lissamine Green B (E142)0.02% w/v

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 09:20:31 am »
Sorry yes I still refer to molecto  as crovect, as its basically the same thing and an awful lot cheaper  :thumbsup:

Specially when buying the 5 litre tubs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 11:21:47 am »
It's odd really, given that Wensleydales originate from...well...Wensleydale.  You'd think that would be fairly similar to where you are Sally, but a bit more sheltered.
Hereabouts there are very few Wensleydales, and no-one keeps them for long, because of the muddy draggles they get in winter.  Same for other longwools.

It's one of those fleeces that looks so gorgeous, but when I've spun it I've found it not so very wonderful after all.  Have you spun any of it yet?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS