Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do cows need to be in pairs?  (Read 15639 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Do cows need to be in pairs?
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »
Im thinking of getting a Dexter cow, should I get 2 for company, such as pigs need a companion?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Do cows need to be in pairs?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:22:36 pm »
My understanding is that you should have two, although a calf at foot counts as the second one. But more experienced stockmen will correct me if I am wrong.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:39:02 pm »
cows are herd animals i would say 2 as absolute minimum, if you get a cow with calf thats ok until its goes off for beef, weve started with 2 breeding animals so always have company and calves/ steers at foot

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
I dont know the true answer but years ago most farms had A milk cow which often lived with the Shires ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:17:48 pm »
Thats exactly what I want George a milk cow with the calf going for beef.

So it seems I need 2 cows with calves.

Can I mix sheep(4 or 6) and the cow in the same field?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »
We only had 1 milk cow at home years ago No more no cows and sucklers just the milk cow.Yes they live nicely together and don't fall out.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:14 pm »
You don't need two cows. The first calf will probably be two by the time it's ready to go for beef, by which time there will be a new calf.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »
Oh good Rosemary I was beginning to think I would end up having a whole herd of cows and with only 5 acres they would be a bit quashed lol  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:44:21 pm »
Me too - but remember, they milk for 91/2 months and then have 2 1/2 months off dry before calving again, so if you want milk all year, you WILL need two cows calving at different times.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:03:58 am »
Ah good point, I never thought of that. The milk will be mainly for cheese so am not too fussed if she goes dry and has a rest but I will see how it goes with 1.

Hubby really, really doesnt want any cows at all so Im just gonna have to say "Look what followed me home."  Thats been said many times at my house with dogs.cats, rabbits, hamsters and fish, oh and the odd child or two.

I cant get to the bottom of why hubby doesnt want a cow around but Ive a sneaking suspicion its cos they have such large, kind eyes and he couldnt bring himself to know that the calf is going for meat.  Hes already told me in no uncertain terms that he isnt going to kill any of the animals or take them for slaughter.
Hubby is 6'3 and 20 stone but as sloppy as any gentle giant.  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:43 am »
Jackie Nor had I when she went drape she would be sent to Newark Cattle Market and a fresh one got a few times we had a Jersey They are nice looking cows and milk well and of a very high quality is the milk.Next time I look in a FW I will see what they are making.I bet a pedigree from a Champion Bull will cost an arm and a leg today. :D :D ;D :farmer:

pankie

• Joined May 2009
  • Yarnfield, Staffs
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:07:46 pm »
hi I have 5 dexters running with 6 easy care sheep, all get along fine, Just sometimes if you get a muddy area the sheep don't like it

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:31:33 am »
Yeh George I bet they cost a fortune now. Thank goodness I dont want a bull then. lol

Thanks Pankie thats just the info I need so now the cow(s) can run with the 4 or 6 sheep Im going to get. :)

I googled Dexters and two top registered dexter farms are within 3 miles of me so Im going to go and have a look and chat and cost them. :) Id rather buy straight from a farm than try to buy at a livestock auction for 3 reasons;
1 I would worry about not getting the right one for us, ie calmness, handled well, halter trained etc
2 I dont want to import infection
3 I can never understand an auctioneer as they talk wwwaaayyy too fast! lol

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:04:13 am »
Sorry Jackie ,do you have one in a bowler hat or have you another alternative :o :farmer:

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
A farmer friend had an unannounced RSPCA inpsection (he is RSPCA registered herd) and had just taken the dam of a calf to milk her. The RSPCA inspector told him off because the calf was on its own and couldnt see any other cattle. He explained that it had only been on its own for 5 minutes while he milked mum but that wasnt good enough.
Has anyone else spent hours walking round a field looking for a calf that has been "hidden" in the nettles while mum goes off to graze?? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS