Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring calf  (Read 3353 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Scouring calf
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »
Can anyone help? Our 3 month old dexter calf is passing white sticky dung. She is running around & looks healthy. Is she scouring? She is taken off of her mum in the morning as mum is our house cow and is returned to her at 4.30 after milking. We only take about 1 1/2 litres of milk off mum so there is milk left for calf. She is fed oats barley and a little beet morning and night.Don't know what to do but it doesn't look normal.

grimmauld

• Joined May 2010
Re: Scouring calf
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:05:34 pm »
It's unusual for a calf of that age with it's mother to scour, is it still looking bright and healthy if not it's some form of infection so will need the normal a/b's etc. If it's still looking well I'm wondering if you're giving it too rich a diet, the cereal content alone may well be too rich for her. Hope she's ok one of mine was still born yesterday.  :( First one in four years....

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:00 pm »
oats and sugar beet isn't the right type of feed for an 3 month calf. you should be feeding an calf on 18% protein feed nut or mix

dannidub2000

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Northants
    • Brook Farm Rare Breeds
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:29 pm »
we rear dairy surplus calves and I find they will scour when the feed is too good/ rich so as the previous message said its probably the feed.
Danni
Brook Farm Rare Breeds
Northants

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS