Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle Feeding Kids  (Read 4117 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Bottle Feeding Kids
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:22:03 pm »
I am about to get my new kids and have been told they should really be bottle fed up until 6 months old. This is fine, but any recommendations as to the best/easiest bottles to use AND whether giving powered milk is ok or should I be sourcing Fresh milk?

They will be about 8-10 wks old when I get them and I have no other goats.
________
Caroline

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bottle Feeding Kids
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:43 pm »
Ask the breeder whch type of bottle they ae using and then get the same make. I use Nettex non-vac bottles (500ml) and kids start off with 4 feeds per day, then after 3 months I educe by a feed per month and usually stay with one (late night) feed until I get fed up/run out of milkers in milk.

Depending on how many kids you are getting and what your budget is, there is a goat milk powder available (Caprilac from Goat Nutrition) but many people use Lamlac (or similar) mixing it thinner than it says on the packet.

If you can source fresh, raw goatsmilk (frozen maybe) at a reasonable price from a nearby goatkeeper that would be your best solution. Í take it these kids are already on the bottle - if they are still on their dam you will be struggling to get them onto the bottle at their age.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:52:14 pm »
Thanks I have asked the breeder but still waiting for her to confirm. I know she has been bottle feeding though so hopefully will not be too tricky.  :fc:
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:29:46 pm »
New goats.  :excited: :excited: What sort and how many are you getting?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:09 am »
I'm getting 2 Toggenbergs and 2 Anglo Nubian. I am very excited, but also a bit nervous, there is only so much reading you can do to try and get prepared.  :excited:
________
Caroline

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »
If they are a full size breed the only trouble you might have is keeping the bottle from being pulled out of your hand - their sucking ability is only second to that of calves! I used soft drink (i.e lemonade/tizer) bottles and to start with used lamb teats then as they grew changed to calf teats, they were capable of pulling the teat off the bottle ::) !
Mine were Saanen, British Saanen, Toggenberg, British Toggenberg and British Alpines, I found that holding the bottle firmly with one finger either side gripping the teat was sufficient to keep the teat on the bottle. It was funny however to see the kid having pulled a teat off standing with it in its mouth like a dummy wondering where the milk has gone :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:59:13 pm by Cosmore »

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I think it is going to be interesting.
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:18:38 am »
Well worth it though.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:49 am »
Thanks for the tips, I think it is going to be interesting.
I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it and have lots of fun........especially when the Anglo Nubians start running along the tops of fences and getting up to all sorts of other mischief! :roflanim: . I'm not joking, I've seen them do it, they can be escapologists :) .

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »
Yes, have been told all sorts of horror stories, hoping my veg patch will be safe. They will have to get through 3 fences to get to it  :fc:
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:02:58 pm »
Oh goats love a challenge.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:30:28 pm »
Electric fence is your friend.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:47 pm »
I wouldn't be able to keep mine without the electric fence. Don't always have to have it on though. after about a week they stay clear.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS