Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebridean sheep  (Read 8677 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Hebridean sheep
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:43 pm »
Its funny you say that about the dogs. Ive never had anything to do with hebs. But I've noticed that the more maternal a breed the sheep is, the more of a bollock ache it is to push them around a field with a dog. My shedders are generally pretty good, but they regularly face off the dog and get stampy and sometimes rush her. Even the lambs. It's a pain in the arse at the time, but a pleasure to see as well. I often find that the ewe lambs that are fronting off the collie when cornered at 12 weeks are the ones that make the best mothers.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:56 am »
They are an excellent matenal breed - they will defend their lambs to the death - well handled "tame" hebs will happily throw themselves at hurdles if you separate them from their lambs - Shearing them is usually done with lambs in site otherwise the lambs call for the ewe and they wont sit still.

They are also a breed that a working dog Needs to know and be familiar with, seen too many dogs try to round mine up and end up being chased round the field and cornered - some of my older ewes will chase anything that moves that isnt a hebridean, that includes anything white and wooly, people, dogs, dog walkers, horses.
yet with me they are either tame, ignor me to the extent I can often grab them, or just show a total indiference and observe me.

As a breed they are something else, but once you learn their weird ways, no more or less work than any other breed. Apart from perhaps this weeks latest plan - Dont let david leave the field by the whole flock going to the gate and sitting down, every day.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:13 am »
I, too, attended GYS, for the first time. Sheep show was bigger than Royal Highland because of a wider range of breeds. Anyhow, for Hebs the judge was H. Brewis, Newport Bagnall. The Supreme champion and male went to Cassie & Wainwright (Lutterworth, Leics) and reserve and female went to VCK Mason (Nantwich, Cheshire).

The Hebs club stand was excellent.

Just a small point perhaps, but in the Heb shows, we try to report which sheep won, rather than which owner - the owner and breeder can be included in brackets  ;D  This makes a whole lot of sense, as many of those showing have brought several sheep along, often not home bred.  It's the sheep which should be judged, not the owner.  I'm not sure of they do this with other breeds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:40:37 pm »
I, too, attended GYS, for the first time. Sheep show was bigger than Royal Highland because of a wider range of breeds. Anyhow, for Hebs the judge was H. Brewis, Newport Bagnall. The Supreme champion and male went to Cassie & Wainwright (Lutterworth, Leics) and reserve and female went to VCK Mason (Nantwich, Cheshire).

The Hebs club stand was excellent.

Just a small point perhaps, but in the Heb shows, we try to report which sheep won, rather than which owner - the owner and breeder can be included in brackets  ;D  This makes a whole lot of sense, as many of those showing have brought several sheep along, often not home bred.  It's the sheep which should be judged, not the owner.  I'm not sure of they do this with other breeds.

Alas, the catalogue only holds details of the owners -whom I'm sure would be willing to provide details - though I imagine the Breed Club will provide a show report.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS