Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bit gutted.  (Read 6170 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
A bit gutted.
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:58 pm »
Got myself a lovely little Sec D gelding on loan a few weeks ago.  My lovely connie had to be retired at the grand age of 9 due to a stifle injury so decided to find a loan pony due to lack of funds for a new purchase.  Stumbled across the sec D locally who seemed perfect, only 8 years old, been shown, been there done it all, nothing fazed him, owner couldn't fault him in any way.  I explained that I just wanted a safe hack, alone and in company and to do a bit of schooling and possibly a dressage test.  Rode him a few times then decided to take the plunge. 

He arrived with a saddle that didn't fit, shoes falling off, etc etc.  Spend stupid money on a new Wintec saddle for him (knowing I could use it again if he didn't stay)  had him shod, wormed him, insured him etc etc.

Hacking started ok, first few times out he was a bit spooky, but obviously he was new to the area so let him off that.  Perfect in the school and no problem hacking round the farm until we met my cows.  He went into complete meltdown!!  So we avoided the cow end of my farm!!

Next few hacks round the village produced one bolt at high speed down the road when he met a dog in a gateway, a spin and a major proper bolt when he saw cows in a field. 

Last hack yesterday produced a speeding gallop down the road, round a bend and nearly crashing into a car, all because he spotted cows in the distance! 

Now I can ride well, I have sat on many naughty horses, but when this pony decides to spin and bolt there is NOTHING you can do.  After a lengthy conversation with his owner today, where she admitted he has done this many times in the past, it was agreed that he would not be staying with me and would return home at the weekend.

Gutted is putting it mildly.  Why wasn't she just honest in the first place?? Would have saved us both a lot of time and energy and saved me spending money unnecessarily.  A tad annoyed and actually quite relieved that nobody got hurt in the process, could have been nasty.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: A bit gutted.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:23:13 pm »
Am so sorry to hear about that. Being honest about your animals is crucial from the selling point of view. Preloved sometimes advertise for ponies on loan maybe you could try there and what about the farmers guardian? Am just glad that you never had an accident whilst riding him I was literally holding my breath reading it :relief: I wonder what he has against cows. :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:17 pm »
That was an incredibly dangerous thing for the owners to do! You or someone else could easily have been killed, I hope you have a few strong words to insure they don't loan him out again.
It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest people can be, even in a situation where you are bound to find out the truth.
Glad your ok, you were lucky  :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:20:52 am »
I hope the owners will take the time to work with him and help him overcome his fears. Poor pony.

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
    • New Start, New Life in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:00 am »
Totally unfair on you and the pony, a very selfish owner who just wants shot of a pony she can't trust it seems. Not a thought for what would happen to you or the pony if you had been a less capable and experienced rider...and many say they are when they aren't.

I feel for this lovely pony, the owner is unlikely to work on his problems (even if capable) and will possibly just palm him off on someone else...I wonder how many homes he will have before someone gets badly hurt. Poor pony.

Glad you came out of it physically, if not financially, unscathed

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:08:13 am »
Needs one of these in the stable next door  :cow: sell her one  ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
Poor  :horse:. Perhaps I should take him on?  I feel exactly the same about  :dog:  :dog: and  :cow:  :cow: !
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:20:10 am »
I was thinking this too. I think I may have been tempted to keep him and work with him. Something has happened in his life to make him afraid of cows, probably been put into a field of them "for company" and, maybe they were youngsters or cows with young calves and he had been beaten up.
Glad neither of you came to grief though!!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:38:09 pm »
A lot of horses are afraid of cows. I agree that in the end the only "treatment" is to de-sensitise but at the age of 8 that could really take some time, with uncertain results. Of course this pony isn't just afraid of cows but also dogs. So double trouble.
Sec Ds are intelligent  and wily and can test even the most experienced rider; Its part of their "charm"  ;)
here's a thought: I wonder whether Mr D was truly scared or whether he had learned a method of scaring his rider: ie: bolting at the drop of a hat. Its so, so common in Welshies. We had a Sec C that did it all the time; she was actually scared of nothing at all ( as she proved week after week at shows, where she behaved impeccably and won everything)  but if she didn't want to play nice she was off. She just knew every trick in the book. And if that's the true position its not about de-sensitising but about persuading the pony to co-operate. And, Crikey, but that's a tall order.
Is it time to retire yet?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
I bought a cob pony. The most laid back animal you could find. But he had a total panic attack and shot off (the fastest I ever saw him go) at the first sight of my donkeys. He then refused to even go within half a mile of the lane where they were so I had to walk him the long way round and put him in a building at the other end of the village. Next morning I let him out into the field attached to the building, where, unknown to him, we had other donkeys grazing.  Left to his own devices, he cautiously investigated the donkeys, found out they were ok, and happily lived with them for the rest of the time I had him.
So animals can be easily desensitised and I'm sure this one would have got used to cows if it had been put in a large secure field with some and allowed to form its own opinion.
But having said that, I agree it was unbelievably stupid of the owner of the owner not to have warned you.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:08:47 am »
I did seriously consider keeping him and working on his problems, but considering his age, breeding etc, it could have been a long and pointless exercise.  When his owner admitted he has done this many times before I decided the best cause of action was to give him back.  If I had bought him, and he was younger, I would have spent the time and energy trying to overcome his problems.  All I want is a safe pony to hack out on and enjoy myself.  I have had 6 years dealing with my gorgeous Connie who was 100% safe under saddle but a total psycho to deal with on the ground unless he totally trusted you.  He would have been in a tin of dog food years ago if I hadn't bought him.  It took 2 years before a farrier could even touch him.  Clipping, scissors, anything like that are a major no no.  He was backed, clipped and shod in Ireland then sent over here.  My farrier is positive he was shod whilst literally pinned down.  Dermot is my soul mate who will never leave here, he is now happily grazing on the farm with his little girlfriend and enjoying no stress!  He has a problem with his stifle and due to his fear of people my vets wont even contemplate xraying or sending him to our big equine hospital. 

So I have put the time and energy into a problem horse, and love him to bits, but now would just love to have a "normal" horse to just do "normal" things with and have a safe and enjoyable hack!!

Actually wondering if there is such a thing as a "normal" horse!!!

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:06 am »
And you certainly don't want to spend time and energy (leaving aside the safety aspect) on a pony who's owner could take him back 'fixed' and sell him on.

Tough for you, sad for the pony. :(

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
I've seen this happen so,so many times over the years. Why oh why can't owners be honest and responsible and declare their animals problems? It would fare better for the welfare of the animal and the safety of the prospective loanee. Some obviously hope that their horse/pony will be 'transformed' into a schoolmaster/mistress, (something that they have been incapable of achieving or is too much trouble) by letting the loaner take all the risks! >:( .
I used to do some horse transport using an HGV horsebox, the number of times when asked if the animal is good to catch for transport and had travelled before or any travel related problems, the reply was 'oh yes, he/she has been boxed before and or travels well', only to find on the day that the animal  took an hour for the owner to catch and patently had never travelled before or suffered from travelling behavioural problems.....Grrr! :rant: .
I'm sorry for you, it must be a disheartening, but better to return the pony and inform the owner precisely why. Safer for you and hopefully the pony...unless the owner 'dupes' some other person! :( .

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:56 pm »
This just makes me so mad. People who loan out horses like this should land in court for putting another person at risk. At 8 years old depending on how long this horse has been this way may never be right. A horse that bolts is very dangerous not only to the rider but itself. I wish owners would just be honest. An experienced person may be able to work this animal through its fears and bad habits but it will take a long time. Not one for the kind hearted to try and sort out.

sarab

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 02:08:25 pm »
It makes me mad to because then everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Many years ago I rescued a very well bred Section D from a life stuck in a stable without a window. He came out with no muscle and every stable vice you can think of. He turned in to an excellent and bomb proof driving pony but too small for me so I had someone else ride him. He was a better driver but tried it on with a rider.
When my marriage broke down he was faced with an uncertain future due to his vices, but tried loaning and was very up front with his assorted problems. So many turned up who said they could ride well but panicked when the horse reversed, then one booted him and let the reins go and I thought...she'll do. The pony was as good as gold, He was six, she never drove him but had him until he died 25 years later, still with the same vices and cheeky ways.

He was a very lucky pony, letting someone less capable have him could have been a disaster.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS