Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Autumn raspberries  (Read 2161 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Autumn raspberries
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:23:54 pm »
We have some summer fruiting raspberries which are yielding a few punnets of fruit now  :excited:  We also have some autumn fruiting raspberries that did very well last year and I was hoping for the same from them this year - but I don't think things look very promising.
I cut the autumn fruiting canes down to ground level in Nov as directed - but there doesn't seem to be any growth from them at all yet. Am I being impatient?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Autumn raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »
Autumn rasps are cut down once they have fruited over the winter.  Growth should start in the spring.
I would have expected growth by now....in fact I would be expecting to thin out the autumn canes just now.
Were the rasp canes bought from a nursery?
I'm wondering if its root rot but then the summer fruiting ones would have succumbed to that too.
Could you shed a little more info on the matter e.g. site, previous crop/plants in area, anything applied to the canes - fert, compost?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:16:35 pm »
All the raspberries are planted out in a soft fruit bed  - the summer ones are next to the autumn ones. The fruit bed is in the day range of the chickens. We planted all the plants last spring - the bed was newly dug for the soft fruit plants. We dug in a fair amount of compost when we got the bed sorted.
Otherwise the treatment of the summer and autumn fruiting plants have been the same.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »
Well I'm at a loss  ???
I'd perhaps do a bit of ferreting about at the roots to see what they are looking like.  See if there is any signs of growth.....if there isn't root rot is a possibility.  If it is, you wont get rasps to grow there again.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:42:15 am »
When we bought this place there was a neglected raspberry patch.. about 30 paces by 5 paces and full of autumn fruit. At the end of fruiting I decided to cut to ground zero half of it. that part took 2 years to recover whereas the half i neglected again carried on strong. The density, difficult access ad nettles etc in the area means that now I just mow a path up the middle.. so two 1 pace patches with a gap and leave it alone.
At th moment there's more raspberries than we could eat ..albeit they're a fairly high protein meal ::) due to all the hovering insects unles you get lucky just after it's rained. I;ve just grazed my brekkie there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS