Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed on fencing  (Read 9592 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Advice needed on fencing
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »
If a dog came on my land and killed any of my birds i would treat it as a fox and blow its brains out.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
If a dog came on my land and killed any of my birds i would treat it as a fox and blow its brains out.
perhaps so, but Hester is not allowed to roam on anyone else's property.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 06:06:19 pm »
he would have to roam a dam long way if he did, that policewomans needs a wake up call, she would get it if she lived next door to me. ive got a neighbours cockeral in my place the last 2 days, he wont stop as its like a harum to him with food,so he may have to go, unfortunatly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:08:37 pm by harry »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »
Boilt or fricasseed harry
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 07:21:47 pm »
its a bantam so not enough for a chicken roll.. if ime feeling kind i will catch him and hes off to the chicken rounabout, were lucky round here all our unwanted cockerals go there.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:16 pm »
I ended up buying a chicken run from harrodhorticultural.com :)

A 6m x 10.5 was £500 with VAT odd with the discount code I had posted to me (I also run http://www.discount-voucher.co.uk  lol)

Its going to take a while to see any payback - but its not just about the money for the time being, its about having a nice safe place for the chickens. 

We have the coast path walk going through our garden so dogs are an issue sometimes - even though we have signs up some people seem to think its everybody elses dog we are talking about.

I have yet to see what my dog thinks of them - he is a mini dachshund (that gets bullied by the sheep) - I am sure he will have a few tellings off as he is a little rascal that loves chasing everything.

I think total free range is a little dangerous for chickens, I am sure they will have enough space in the pen I have bought though.

Ta

Baz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »
My chickens have developed attitude! ;D ;D ;D  My 4 month old pup decide to have a run at some of the ex batts that had wandered close to the house, next thing I knew Jamie my LS cockerel was tearing down from the top of the garden and lunged at Bobby - just as I called him to me,  so the talons and beak missed him by a mile, but the three ex batts he was after saw there were reinforcements and turned and came after the poor wee soul ::) ::).  I recalled him back to the front door in time to save him, naturally ;) ;D  However, it was enough to make Bobby aware that chickens are not to be messed with, so next time out he was steering well clear of them.   

My 9 year old girl is on bed rest with a cruciate injury at the moment and just after Bobby's incident I took her out on the flexi to do what she needed to do.  There she was all innocent sniffing around ready to pee when a couple of ex batts came up behind her and gave her two huge pecks on her BTM.  I'm sorry but I was just about peeing myself laughing.  ;) Next time I took her out she wouldn't go anywhere near the chickens. kept turning away from them.  And this was previously the ringleader of any chicken retrieving games!  Hopefully I now have two non chicken chasers! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
And incidentally, Harry - Hester is a girls name!  I told her you didn't think she'd get near yoyu and she said - "where does he live - I'm a plonker, I have the best nose in the business, I'll find him" ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:34:52 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:03:03 pm »
My little Oliver (the dog) used to chase the sheep too until they decided to turn on him after lambing.  He went straight onto his back into submissive mode when first attacked - but the ewes dont know about that gesture and just butted him into the floor.  He soon came running and hid under the quad.  Poor little dab, bet he gets attacked by the chickens too when they get here :)

Cant help but laugh either - he thinks he is 8 foot tall, I dont think he is aware of his minute size.

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS