Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to tell if your soft fruit is ripe  (Read 2768 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
How to tell if your soft fruit is ripe
« on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »
Easy...
the birds just ate it.

I did work out the cost of a cage system for my many bushes and it's be cheaper to buy seasonal stuff for the rest of my life than build one for my (large) patches.

I'm half seriously thinking about adding 20 cherry trees to my collection...in the hope I get a cherry or two

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: How to tell if your soft fruit is ripe
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:08 pm »
Not true!  The birds ate my cherries long before they were ripe!   >:(   :roflanim:  The pigeons that were being shot in the next field down, came into my garden and ate all my broad beans, mice ate my strawberries, and some low tomatoes.  It's a constant battle - nothing worse than having your lovely produce eaten by anyone other than yourself.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
I have to say I sometimes feel like I am stealing bird food when I eat my own cherries.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:33 pm »
I have rabbits and pigeons eating my peas, deer eating the beetroot and Swiss chard, and squirrels snacking on hen food! Don't you just love wildlife! Nothing is touching the courgettes, there are only so many times you can smuggle courgette into a meal!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:12:47 am »
To tell when fruit or veg is ready for harvesting, not only will it look fantastic but when you twist the stalk the fruit should come off easily. If you have to pull hardely then its not quite there.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »
I watched one of my chickens reaching up to grab a raspberry - so figured they were ripe  :roflanim:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:32:53 pm »
I watched one of my chickens reaching up to grab a raspberry - so figured they were ripe  :roflanim:
There is something insanely funny watching chickens jump up at something juuuust out of reach above their head.
It just looks like someone trying to bite an apple on a tree with their hands behind their back
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS