Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How best to disinfect old feeders/drinkers?  (Read 3174 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
How best to disinfect old feeders/drinkers?
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »
Hello, long time lurker on here, now making a start in some basic smallholding. We'll be getting our first chickens in a few weeks and we're getting ourselves set up in preparation. When we bought our current place, left in the barn were a bunch of galvanised drinkers and feeders. They look like they need a good scrub out and clean but I was wondering the best way to disinfect them to make sure they're useable for the chickens when they arrive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

J.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: How best to disinfect old feeders/drinkers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »
I'd submerge them in water for 24 hours - this will kill any red mite lurking under the rim of the saucer section and loosen the dirt.  Then scrub them out with a nailbrush, stiff toothbrsh or similar and leave them in the sunlight to dry.  Don't use anything acidic on the galv.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:27:50 am »
Thanks very much, I'll give that a try.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:31:27 am »
Timely question! I am just about to do the same.. Thanks Justin!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »
I agree that a good sweat-inducing scrub with a stiff brush is essential. I then use Milton ( the baby equipment steriliser) on all my chicken stuff then rinse off well.
I dilute the Milton as per the bottle instructions.
Is it time to retire yet?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »
Agree. Submerge for a day. Clean them up and then if you want, a few kettles of boiling water, maybe with a spray of poultry shield beforehand.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 02:39:07 pm »
I'm another Milton user  :thumbsup:

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »
I use plastic drinkers with apple cider vinegar in the water, would Milton get rid if the stains caused by the vinegar, they always look as if they need a good scrub.  Anyone else got this problem with staining?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »
I gave up on plastic drinkers because the water always looks dirty and the inside goes green with algae within a couple of days in the summer.  Pity they don't make them in green, with just a little panel up the side like an electric kettle, so you can see the water level.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
Thanks for all the answers, I'll get some milton as well. They'll need a good soak and scrub as they've sat in a barn for 2-3 years and are a bit caked.

I'm just going over the plan for the run I'm building, watch out for a post on that shortly :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS