Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns on sheep are for catching  (Read 11882 times)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Horns on sheep are for catching
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:37:08 pm »
In two senses of the word. Just dragged the sheep in to separate hoggs and rams off for shearing tomorrow, the ewes to be done later in the weekend.
Horns are very useful when one is trying to get by you to catch hold of, but as I caught the last lamb and verdifish let out the last ewe, someone caught me back with their horns full on the knee!
Thank goodness for ice packs and arnica!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Horns on sheep are for catching
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:11:42 pm »
Horns on sheep, especially lambs, are not for catching.  See my thread on dealing with a broken horn.
Sheep horns break on occasion when you try to catch them by the horn as they stampede past.  Horns are also very sensitive, and sheep absolutely hate being dragged around by them.

Revenge of the affronted sheep  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:52 am »
Teaching students... One of the first things was not to handle a sheep by its horns.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:30:17 am »
I have been working with horned sheep ( Blackies and Hebs mainly)  for most of my days (close to 40 years) i have seen a few horns broken in that time but never have broken one myself - there's time yet i guess -  but i suspect theres a little middle ground in this argument. If for instance a 2 horned shearling tup can't  be grabbed by the horns i.e. they are so weak then perhaps it shouldn't be used for breeding.

4 horns are alot more complex depending on the beast especially when things are fused or close together- as FW will know getting lambs past the stage where they can just be knocked off by a dunt is sometimes hard enough. I have a nice tup lamb thats getting there but i have a ewe lamb thats kept her side ones but managed to chip a bit off the top of one of the top ones !

I think often you can look at the general health of a sheep and if she is a toothless old ewe and horns are looking worn then theres probably a fair chance you need to be gentle. A younger stronger ewe / gimmer should be okay  - it also depends how you catch them if its close to the base less chance if its at the tip more chance and again if you come from behind it or its stationary good, if it s flying past you a 100mph  :hugsheep: a rugby tackle  might be your best option rater than a tweaked horn
I agree with FW re the dragging with horns there are other ways to cajole them
Just my opinion but on an individual basis done correctly i see no issues if you are skilfull / gentle enough

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:41:01 pm »
No need to - although I admit on one occasion my 4 horned heb ram has been tied to a gatepost to shear him........ and his horns too, as the shearer got cut twice and nearly gored before refusing to do him, and then I got a jab in the face and then neck (drawing blood) figuring, dead dave is not a good thing for me or the sheep, so he got tied up.
OTherwise tho, dont use horns to manouver sheep.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »
Sorry to poop on your party guys:

This is from Defra's Code of Recommendations for the Welfare of Livestock, Handling and management.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69365/pb5162-sheep-041028.pdf

48. Sheep should not be caught by the fleece alone.
They should be handled or restrained by means of a
hand or an arm under the neck (holding the neck
wool, if necessary) with the other arm placed on or
around the rear. Lifting or dragging sheep by the
fleece, tail, ears, horns or legs is unacceptable.
Care should be taken with horns, which may be
broken off if sheep are roughly handled.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:19:09 pm by Fleecewife »

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:27:21 pm »
Sorry to poop on your party guys:

This is from Defra's Code of Recommendations for the Welfare of Livestock, Handling and management.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69365/pb5162-sheep-041028.pdf

48. Sheep should not be caught by the fleece alone.
They should be handled or restrained by means of a
hand or an arm under the neck (holding the neck
wool, if necessary) with the other arm placed on or
around the rear. Lifting or dragging sheep by the
fleece, tail, ears, horns or legs is unacceptable.
Care should be taken with horns, which may be
broken off if sheep are roughly handled.

So catching horned sheep gently using the horn is ok !

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:37 am »
Does this rule out using a leg crook for catching a sheep?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 08:36:21 am »
Any techniques or bits of kit in the wrong hands can be deadly .!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 08:50:10 am »
There is using horns, tails etc to catch and pull vs use as handles to hold/restrain as you push, eg. shorn ewes; I was catching culls out of the mob and pushing them out through a one way gate into a trailer. Right hand on base of tail, left under sheep's chin, my knees and legs push into body of sheep to make controlled and safe progress sideways to the gate.

I am open to change if any of you could demonstrate a more efficient and safe friendly way of doing this I am open to it. Monkey see monkey do (monkey taught this as best method in vet school but times change, also monkey's own experience shows it works well).

Sometimes catching by the hind leg is the best option, the devil is in the detail, 48. does mention "lifting" and "dragging" it is a guide. Catching a stationary sheep in a corner stood in a group and restraining in situ while its mates move away is a very different thing to catching a running sheep.   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:45:06 am by Me »

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:38 am »
I was able to shear my Shetland rams standing this year with the only restraint being my left hand holding one horn.  They definitely seemed happier about that than being haltered, and much much happier than being tipped. 
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:33:29 am »
I'm sure I'm the only person in the world who didn't already know this, but I recently found out you can steer Zwartbles by putting one hand under their chin and the other around the back of their head.

Previously I was trying by having one hand under the chin to stop them running away, and the other applying pressure to their back to try and get them to move, which they then seemed to resist. When all the pressure is gently around their heads, the sheep seems to follow wherever the head goes!!

Horns definitely not for catching a moving sheep. Momentum + leverage is too powerful a combination!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 11:49:11 am »
I'm sure I'm the only person in the world who didn't already know this, but

I thought that was Point 1. Page one in The Idiots Guide to Life wasn't it?

You can borrow my copy if you lost yours ;) 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 12:32:04 pm »
There is using horns, tails etc to catch and pull vs use as handles to hold/restrain as you push, eg. shorn ewes; I was catching culls out of the mob and pushing them out through a one way gate into a trailer. Right hand on base of tail, left under sheep's chin, my knees and legs push into body of sheep to make controlled and safe progress sideways to the gate.

I am open to change if any of you could demonstrate a more efficient and safe friendly way of doing this I am open to it. Monkey see monkey do (monkey taught this as best method in vet school but times change, also monkey's own experience shows it works well).

Sometimes catching by the hind leg is the best option, the devil is in the detail, 48. does mention "lifting" and "dragging" it is a guide. Catching a stationary sheep in a corner stood in a group and restraining in situ while its mates move away is a very different thing to catching a running sheep.   

The method you are using Me is the correct one - hand under chin, other hand somewhere at the back or flank.  I think we all sometimes simply have to hold onto horns - it was the routine use of dragging and catching sheep by their horns which I objected to.
The Defra booklet is attempting to stop behaviour such as lifting sheep by their fleece - this bruises the muscle underneath, as can be seen if the sheep are on the way to slaughter - the meat will be marked and of poorer quality.  That must hurt as it would hurt any species.  I have seen big hefty sheep lifted by a handful of fleece at the back, and a horn at the front - not kind.

Point 48 seems to be a guiding principle, but not a law, and is open to interpretation.  I'm sure we all want to treat our livestock in a humane way.

One great way I have found for moving a recalcitrant sheep, instead of dragging it along by the horns, or anything else, is to turn it round and push it, nose between your legs.  They don't seem to resist then, and no-one gets hurt.  The Fleecewife patented shoving a sheep method  8)   Worth a try.  It also reinforces passing motorists in their belief that strange practices take place in the countryside  :o

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 01:15:38 pm »
One great way I have found for moving a recalcitrant sheep, instead of dragging it along by the horns, or anything else, is to turn it round and push it, nose between your legs.  They don't seem to resist then, and no-one gets hurt.  The Fleecewife patented shoving a sheep method  8)   Worth a try.  It also reinforces passing motorists in their belief that strange practices take place in the countryside  :o

:roflanim:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS