Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New smallholder in Norfolk  (Read 1643 times)

karmahill

• Joined Feb 2010
New smallholder in Norfolk
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:21 pm »
Hello to you all, my wife and i are new to all this. having purchased our house about 4 years ago, we have just finished doing up the house and all the out buildings and are now turning our hands to the land. we have about 1.5 acres and just got 3 pigs and 35 chickens. we are growing lots of fruit and veg in the two new polytunnels i have just put up.it is soooo much hard work starting from scratch but very rewarding. maybe we are trying to do to much in the first year but i am enjoying it so much that i just can't stop building chicking runs, pig arcs and veg patches. anyway, if there is anyone else local who is starting up that we could work with (save us both doing the same thing) may be we could swap pork for lamb? just an idea. please contact us.

also just to say thanks to everyone on here and any advice is always greatly received.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: New smallholder in Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:17 am »
Hi and welcome - you do sound VERY busy! Don't forget to take some time to relax, enjoy it and give yourself a pat on the back!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:43 am »
Hi welcome, another pig keeper ..... lovely.  What breeds?

karmahill

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:12 pm »
just 3 little welsh  :pig: :pig: :pig:. would like to have rare breeds but just after the meat at the moment. have been working hard but we love being out in the garden and sometimes just have to stop cos its to dark to do any more. find it as relaxing as being asleep. maybe its just the honeymoon period and we will slow up, but until then, I'll keep going. thanks for the replies

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire.   Had our honeymoon and subsequent hols in Norfolk... until we began this smallholding lark!   
You wait til its summer, and you suddenly realise you're still outside at half nine, and havent eaten or anything!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
Hi and welcome, sounds like you are busy but loving it too which is what it's all about.

Beth

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »
Hi and welcome  :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS