Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice re slaughter for a novice  (Read 3395 times)

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
Advice re slaughter for a novice
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:40:55 pm »
My first 2 boars are off to the abattoir in 10 days. As a complete novice am I right in thinking that they should be starved after breakfast the previous day? If that's the case is there any advice on getting the ear tags in. I'd been banking on doing it while they ate their supper to minimise the amount of time the tags are in place as they're quite boisterous and I think they might get pulled out when they "wrestle".
Any other pertinent advice from people with more experience will be gratefully received. I've been working my way through the archives of the forum but have yet to see this specific topic dealt with.
Cheers
Piggerswiggers

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Advice re slaughter for a novice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:26:10 pm »
Which abattoir?  If you did it before (12/24hours ) of fasting time you would be extremely unlucky for one of them to be pulled out ! However you will probably have to use some food to get them in the trailer so I would be to bothered !.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:04:13 pm »
We normally take them on the Sunday afternoon so they have a late breakfast that day once they're on the trailer, certainly helps them get over the uncertainty of the ramp if their breakfast is on it!

My mate does the tagging for me and does it while they've got their heads down snuffling in the straw in the trailer, very rarely have a problem doing it like that through the drop down sides.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:09:21 pm »
 :wave:
Hi Piggerswiggers

I usually take mine really early in the morning (7am) so I feed them the previous evening and usually put in the metal ear tags as they're busy eating. However, if you're worried about doing it, do it a day or so beforehand as they're eating. The metal tags don't come out easily even with the teenage wrestling they indulge in. I was really bothered about getting it right the first time but as long as you're not shy about it, they pay virtually no attention as they're focused on food. I also usually park the trailer with the ramp down in their enclosure for at least 24hours beforehand so they get used to walking in and out (try feeding them in there). That way, you should only need to rattle the bucket with a little bit of feed in to get them in there before you go. If you do need to give them a bit of feed to get them in, it's not a disaster in my experience.
Hope that helps -
Martha R

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:11:26 pm »
Feed them in the trailer, make it nice and inviting! I put them in the trailer the evening before they go with just water. I also tag them then, it's such a quick process that they scarcely have time to squeak before it's done and forgotten about. If you're worried about anything ask someone who knows to give a hand, nobody will mind helping out a first-timer.
A thing I also find helps (apart from my niece, Dolly, bless her dear heart) is to be at the abattoir just before it opens, then you will have time to reverse, unload and get your pigs into lairage before things get busy and bustly. Also your pigs will be first through and by the time you get home will be gone.
Never easy but if you eat meat must be done. Good luck and  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:21 pm »
Was about to write the exact same things as devonlady (apart from the bit about the helpful niece, ours doesn't, lol)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:32:30 pm »
Dolly does the reversing bit, I'm rubbish at it!! And does this before going off to teach at a school 14 miles away :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 03:02:12 am »
I also get mine in the trailer the evening before a 6am start. They eat their tea in the trailer and are usually fast asleep when we set off.
We don't put metal tags in we just slap mark the day before when they are eating. They hardly flinch then and its reasuring to see the slap mark when you get your meat back.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:25 am »
We slap mark with a food grade ink, easy, quick and the pigs hardly notice. We rattle the food bucket and put some sow rolls on the floor of the trailer, the pigs go straight in with no bother. :) .

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 06:32:26 pm »
Thanks to all for taking the trouble to post your advice and experience. I think because it's our first time we are worried about getting everything right. Keeping the pigs has been an absolute joy so far and it would be a real shame to spoil it at the last hurdle. As lots of others have said I fear this may be addictive and if all goes well I'm well and truly hooked!????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS