Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why are my tomato leaves going yellow?  (Read 9154 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Why are my tomato leaves going yellow?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 01:19:30 pm »
Mine are in 10 inch pots stood in watering trays trays, I was leaving water in the trays as I was told tomatos preferred to be watered from underneath, I did use cheap compost which may have been the problem... Next year I'll cough up for some better stuff...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 02:08:13 pm »
If I'm growing outdoor tomatoes I generally give them a good soaking every third day, if it hasn't rained in the meantime.  I find the flavour much better if they're a little short of water, especially as they start to colour up.
I soak my tomato plants twice daily, if overcast and damp only once, they seem to be OK this year.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »
How much water do tomato's need, I have had similar symptoms, but then the bases of the plants went slime (rotten) and they collapsed. I was watering everyday I guess I over did it...
I always thought they needed lots of water but maybe not as much as I thought. Mine are in grow bags with those tomato rings round them so you just put water in the ring and not on the plant itself. This has worked really well in the past so I am still thinking its nutrients that they need.
I've got three like that, plus one direct into the growbag without a ring, and another just in a tall pot.  All inside the greenhouse with ventilation open 24/7, and water input once a day. 

No difference between them and  they're all doing fine. no yellow leaves and lots of flowers.

Two more outside under a plastic cover and they are much slower, but that's only to be expected.

I have no earthly idea what varieties they all are - some from friends, some from a seed packet that got wet and unreadable - just looking forward to having some to eat straight off the plants  :excited: :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »
I water my greenhouse ones, grown in the soil not pots, every day and the outside ones every day if it's hot and sunny or every other day if it's cooler. They are looking good this year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 03:45:09 pm »
Mine are in 10 inch pots stood in watering trays trays, I was leaving water in the trays as I was told tomatos preferred to be watered from underneath, I did use cheap compost which may have been the problem... Next year I'll cough up for some better stuff...

I think the compost you use makes a huge difference.  I grow my tomatoes directly in the soil of my polytunnel, in ground very well manured with FYM, comfrey leaves and seaweed meal, plus a tagetes plant for each one to keep the pests off.
However, I start them off indoors in pots, and I've found what I use in those pots is vital to the crop.   One year the compost was contaminated with weedkiller from source, even though it was supposed to be good quality. 
I think the organic composts, if you get a good make, hold their nutrients for longer, but a point comes with both when the growing medium has no feed at all left in it.  Also, if you use something like a peat based compost and it dries out, it's very difficult to re-wet (you can add a few drops of washing up liquid to the water, which helps).  I pot on my young tomatoes frequently, both to stop them getting pot bound, and to keep up the nutrients.
For good growth, tomatoes need nitrogen rich feed before the flower buds appear, then high potassium (comfrey, tomato feed) thereafter, and the flowers sprayed with water.
They do need loads of water, but not so much that they can't suck it all up within a couple of hours.  If the roots are standing in water, they will have no oxygen, then rot.   If your roots are poor, then bury the plants a few inches deeper than usual in the growing medium (easier in soil) and they will grow extra roots from the stem.

For watering when mine are in pots, I pour feed on from the top, but plain water from the bottom.  You can also see if they are wet or dry by lifting the pots and testing for weight - won't work obviously for growbags, unless you have several arms.

Bionic - you must have comfrey; can't garden without it.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:11 pm »
I bought some of this for my house plants you should try it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eazifeed-Water-Retaining-Gel/dp/B003GC8FI8
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »
I bought some of this for my house plants you should try it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eazifeed-Water-Retaining-Gel/dp/B003GC8FI8

As a matter of interest, what is the gel made from, and what does it decompose to?  Is it 'Organic' approved?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:28:24 am »
I am not sure you would have to ask them. I used it for my houseplants although not sure if it could be used for tomato plants.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:27 am »
......I did use cheap compost which may have been the problem...
Its amazing the differences between compost makes. 
I think some shop own makes haven't actually left the compost long enough before bagging it and as a result its too strong and it will burn any roots or shoots before they get a chance to emerge.  This is the case with our local council made compost - its cheap per bag, fantastic as a top mulch for flower beds, veg beds or mixing in with existing soil.  Growing or sowing things straight into it - a waste of time.  Its too strong.

On a side note, nutrient deficiencies - see https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=456
In crops generally:
older leaves = magnesium - remember it as 'Old Maggie'
younger leaves = manganese - remember it as 'Young Man'

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:55 am »
......I did use cheap compost which may have been the problem...
Its amazing the differences between compost makes. 
I think some shop own makes haven't actually left the compost long enough before bagging it and as a result its too strong and it will burn any roots or shoots before they get a chance to emerge.  This is the case with our local council made compost - its cheap per bag, fantastic as a top mulch for flower beds, veg beds or mixing in with existing soil.  Growing or sowing things straight into it - a waste of time.  Its too strong.

On a side note, nutrient deficiencies - see https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=456
In crops generally:
older leaves = magnesium - remember it as 'Old Maggie'
younger leaves = manganese - remember it as 'Young Man'

I don't have access to council compost, but I had heard that it's not ideal in many cases because there are so many Leyland cypress clippings in it.  Nothing seems to grow under leylandii, and the wood doesn't burn, so it sounds reasonable that it's not good to start off seedlings in. It seems to contain a chemical which stops other plants germinating - I don't know this, but have heard it.... I'm sure you're right about the stuff not being composted for long enough too.
I tried making my own compost for a couple of years, but I hadn't got it quite right, largely because I have no leaf mould to add (here the leaves seem to blow away before they touch the ground  ::))   The seedlings were OK, but not plants in pots long term.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:20 pm »
I use levingtons compost the tomato plants love it  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
Mine are in levingtons tomato grow bags
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS