Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Like most, hello and a quickie. :)  (Read 3624 times)

rubadubdub

• Joined Mar 2010
Like most, hello and a quickie. :)
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:40 am »
Hey chaps,
bit of a fork in my life at the moment (pardon the pun). I won't go into it as you would all probably fall asleep and none of you would get to the end of this post and read my question. :)

Opportunity has arrisen to buy a small plot of land. I am a keen gardener but nothing on the scale of a smallholder. I was thinking I could maybe let the majority of my land out to the locals whilst I get started on a market garden. The soil is well drained fine silty over clay, and is in the south west. I would really appreciate it if any folk from around these parts could give me a rough figure of how much I should expect per acre if I allowed sheep to graze. I'm expecting this to be a big project and to take a bit of time to set-up, so any small return of investment would be ideal. I appreciate it the prices will be totally different from location to location, and toil type to soil type, but I cannot find any material of the sort online, and a start would be much appreciated.

Cheers all,
Tudor

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Like most, hello and a quickie. :)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:43:39 pm »
Hiya
You don't say what part of the world you are in, nor how much land you have, nor the state of it.  lots of folk on here with ideas but that info would help I think.  Crossroads in life are positive things so good luck for the way ahead!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »
Hi and welcome! Can't help with the query but wish you well with your new project.

rubadubdub

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:51 pm »
Sorry all. I'm in the UK. South West in the UK. Somerset. :)

I described the type of soil above. Looks quite productive. Haven't had it properly tested yet. I was wondering on a per acre return of investment. But its around 20 acres.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:27:53 pm by rubadubdub »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »
And you talk about me getting past it Annie
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »
And you talk about me getting past it Annie
Would I do that, Wiz?
Anyway, 20 acres is not a small plot of land!  As to the state of it, what I meant was, is it overgrown as I was going to suggest pigs to clear it not sheep.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »
Yeah if you thought you could get away with it ;D ;D Yes Pigs will plough it beautifully wont they.Make sure the fences are stock proof though :farmer:Sorry corrected now
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:42:41 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 03:40:26 pm »
If it's clay underneath it might need more than pig manure though

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 03:44:01 pm »
as I said yesterday Annie they will rip concrete up.I have had them do it ;D :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »
Yeah, I know but what I meant was that pig manure might not be enough for a clay soil.  I've added suff yo mine but it's still pretty heavy.  Might need horse manure too having more vegetable matter in it

rubadubdub

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »
Thanks for the tips so far guys. I'll keep them in mind. The land looks quite well looked after. I'm assuming its had something or other already grazing on it, but it does not look lush enough to have cows, which I imagine will bring in more cash. Do you guys know what I might get (very roughly) per month per acre for having sheep on the land? I'm only looking for a ballpark figure really.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:04:52 pm »
I think it varies by area but when I had a croft in Aberdeenshire we let the land per acre for the season from May to October that was for cattle and up to 2003 it was £85 an acre.  We let the farmer put sheep on it from November to February to crop the grass for winter - for nothing.  But in return she kept the fences for us.  Sorry I can't help in monetary terms.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »
helo, welcome from fife

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders, I am renting grazing this year for 6 months and am paying £60 per acre, the field is about 5 acres so I will be paying £300.Hope this helps.
Anne

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »
hello and welcome
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS