Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on down on the croft.  (Read 5573 times)

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
What's going on down on the croft.
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:53 pm »

It's been a bit quiet on the crofting page so.........what's everyone up to on their croft just now........

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: What's going on down on the croft.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »
This is actually a slightly quieter time of year.
I am fighting a loosing battle to keep the geese off the turnip field, a slightly more successful (although still endless) battle to kill the thistles.
The shed has been tidied (partially) and the floor painted and today I bought my first baler.  The rest of her week may consist of various cunning plans for how to get it off the trailer as I don't have anything to lift it with.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:03 am »
lots of rain  :raining:

enjoyed the day of sunshine even if my very pregnant goats found it a struggle. Nice to see a bit of greenery apart from the bracken which we are knocking back every chance we get and building a shelter on the far side so the goats can go over there until winter (which will be tomorrow judging by the forecast) and then the sheep can use it for the winter.
No such thing as a quiet day on the croft  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:37:04 pm »
Clipping sheep whenever they're dry enough. Only 6 of my own and 4 of a neighbour's left to do.

Got 2 young lambs (one from a ewe hogg, the other from the little gimmer that I kept from the tups in November) - the snow in February meant that I had to feed them with the tups for a couple of weeks and this is the result  :-\

Adding tag numbers to my cull list every time I have to drive sheep back off the road and onto the hill - at least the income should help pay for the ridiculous amount I spent on winter feed.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:04:52 am »
Taking delivery of my birds today- six ganders and a couple of laying hens.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:06:43 am »
I'm supposed to be mixing and laying concrete today so I can raise the floor of the shed but its gales and torrential rain so another fun day ahead  :gloomy:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 11:30:46 pm »
Despairing of getting enough hay cut, dried and baled ! At least our Pygmy goats are prepared to eat the green stuff for now.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:45 am »
Despairing of getting enough hay cut, dried and baled ! At least our Pygmy goats are prepared to eat the green stuff for now.

Aye, I'm beginning to get nervous about the hay. It's been ready to cut for weeks now and the longer it stands there the more tangled it will be when/if the time comes to cut it. Sun forecast for tomorrow but 3 days of showers to follow.

Last time I had to cut it in August there were vole nests all over the place and I had about a dozen dead baby voles and a couple of adults on my conscience....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS