Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The flowers in my garden bumble bees are relishing this week  (Read 6814 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: The flowers in my garden bumble bees are relishing this week
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 11:53:59 pm »
I did hear somewhere FW that beeslove snowdrops. You would have to look it up to make sure though In case its poisonous. I myself am trying to compile a list of bee friendly perrenials, bienniels and annuals for my garden. It would be interesting to know what would survive in wet, muddy, cold winters for the bees to feed on.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: The flowers in my garden bumble bees are relishing this week
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:27 am »
I think when the weather's like that the bees are very sensibly hiding.  The bumble bees all die off in the autumn and just the queen lives through the winter, although of course it's different with honey bees.  It would/will be a problem when the weather suddenly goes back to it's normal dreichness and cold, leaving any bees out and about to die.  We had a cold snap with snow earlier, and I haven't seen any bees here since then  :bee:
I'm sure snowdrops are fine - I bought loads in the green last spring, once the flowers had died down, and I'm looking forward to a good display.  They love crocuses too, but of course they are out a bit later on.  I've see no mention of bees liking aconites, but I grow them anyway as they're bright and cheerful.
The main winter plants are apparently mahonia and that pink, sweet smelling shrub which flowers in winter but has no leaves (is that wintersweet?) and ivy - which doubles up as shelter.  There's something else I mentioned upthread, but I've forgotten it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:38:48 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS