Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old fleeces  (Read 3091 times)

The_Hawthorne_Pack

• Joined Jun 2015
old fleeces
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:57:15 pm »
Hi everyone,
I used to be a regular spinner years ago, but haven't had the opportunity for ages.  In my loft I have two black plastic bags with very old Orkney fleeces in.  Does anyone think they are worth using, or have any suggestions about revitalising them?

:spin:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: old fleeces
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »
Depends totally on what condition they're in.  Polythene is the very worst thing to store fleece in, so they could well be beyond use.  The only way to find out is to take them out into the sunshine, open them out fully and have a really good look at them.  I say take them outside just in case there is moth in the bags.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:05 pm »
It would interesting to hear how you get on. When I started spinning I bought some fleeces, in plastic bags, from someone who had loads and the whole family are spinners. I still haven't done anything with them but I'm thinking I need to have a sort out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:24:59 am »
Depending on the fleeces and the ambient temperature, you may be lucky.  I was asked to find homes for some Heb fleeces last year, the lady said another spinner had taken two and said the others were fine to use, but she could only use two.  By the time I got to collect them, they'd spent a month in a black plastic sack in a garage and were felted to heck.

But if they've been somewhere cool and aren't a felty type of fleece, you may be lucky.

A lot of people say that if a fleece isn't washed in the first few months then it becomes unusable.  This is rubbish; if it's been stored correctly it will last for years.  In cooler weather the grease will harden, and be more difficult to shift.  But you can still wash it out - and you can even still spin 'in the grease' if you want, you just need to get the fleece nice and warm :)  (It's never quite the same as a fresh fleece, though, so I would usually wash an older fleece, not try to spin it in the grease.)

I've heard of people using 19 and 20-year old fleeces, and they were still nice.  (Or at least, some of them were. ;)

As FW days, take the bags out into the garden and open them up.  If clouds of dead moths fall out, chuck the whole lot away ;)

As you are both spinners, you don't need us to tell you how to tell if it's a usable fleece, but for the benefit of other readers who may not be spinners, test 1 is to try to pull the fleece apart; if it parts readily with no tearing sound, that's a good sign.  If it's a mat, won't come apart at all, or only with tearing, then it's felted.  Depending on the lock length there may still be usable fibre, you'd need to cut the felted butts off.  Generally that's more work than the fleece is worth, so unless you want a felted mat (they make good seat pads, dog beds, etc.) then discard it.  Do check that it's felted all over, of course - there may be some usable bits.

Test 2 is to take a lock out of the mass - pull it out by its tip, the pointy bit.  Hold both ends, hold the lock next to your ear, and snap it. If it crackles or breaks, it's no use.  If it makes a good pinging sound, it's strong.  Check locks from a few areas of the fleece.

Test 3 is to see if the individual fibres will draft.  With the lock you've just pinged, hold the butt end loosely and take a few fibres from the tip end, draw them away from the rest.  There may be some initial resistance but the fibres should then glide free.  If they make a tearing sound, or won't come, then it's probably not going to be a spinning fleece.  (But do check that you aren't holding the butt end so tightly you aren't allowing the fibres to be drawn out ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »
If the wool is not up to spinning quality it does make for some really good deep dug fertilizer material when thinly distributed in the digging trench that will take several years to fully decompose .
I know such use of the unwanted poor quality unspun wool material as " digging in the shoddy " .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:43:20 pm »
....but shoddy is lots of short bits, so it doesn't get caught around the machinery.  But if you don't use machines in your garden it's a great idea - adds nutrients and holds moisture.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS